Chapter 18:

I just couldn't sleep.

Why? It's because of what happened last night. Why did he have to kiss me? We've only met for a day and he just did that without a word.

Well, with a word but I didn't catch up on that.

I pulled the two ends of the pillow over my ears, trying to think of something else until my mind finally drifted to slumber. I'm sure the next day wouldn't be as bad as I think it would be, right?

As the daylight shone through the window, several knocks were heard at the front door. I raised an eyebrow, taking off the pillow from my head as I got up from bed. I made my way to the door, opening it to see the Knave, Sunwoo, greeting me with a smile.

Something tells me that he knows what happened last night because no one else in this palace ever greeted me in such a genuine way.

Not even Juyeon greets me with such a wide smile... Kinda ironic since he's the son of the Cheshire Cat.

"Good morning, your majesty."

He bows as I stick my tongue to the back of my cheek, nodding to myself. He does know something. He has never addressed me like I'm part of royalty. In fact, I'm not even part of royalty for him to call me that way.

"So, you know?"

I asked, crossing my arms at him as he chuckled.

"Yes, I do."

He answers immediately as his smile turns into a mischievous smirk, later mimicking the way I crossed my arms at him while his head bounced mockingly. I rolled my eyes, realizing how much of an annoying prick this Knave could be in the morning. We never talked except for that one interaction yesterday and it just happened that Chanhee kissed me before that day finally ended.

Wow, this is definitely going great!

Apparently, I'm stuck with Chanhee's nosy best friend while I try to plan out how I'm going to leave this place right after the wedding without anyone having to wonder why. I can't believe that I'm thinking about marriage when I haven't even finished high school yet.

But it just had to be this way. I can't stop what's happening.

"Oh, he was so flustered, fair lady! Almost going mad with his thoughts!"

Sunwoo laughs it off as I puff my cheeks out in both guilt and concern. Chanhee must've felt really embarrassed about it. I didn't mean to make him feel that way but I just didn't expect something like that.

"He wants to tell you that he's deeply sorry, though."
"Look, it's just a kiss, okay?"

I say with a laid-back tone, later shrugging as I try to brush it off.

"It's not like I'm in love with him. Besides, I've already rejected him."

That was a lie. I never rejected him since he never actually confessed his feelings either but I still told him not to do things like that. I just needed to lie so that I could cover up my actual emotions because, just like how Chanhee warned, Sunwoo could get annoying.

I just can't believe that all of this is happening with dream-like creatures around me while I'm stuck in an unrealistic world.

"Aw."

His eyes glistened as his lower lip was puckered up, shaking his head slowly as if he was really feeling pity.

"That's too bad, you two are getting married in five days."