Chapter 20:

After the discussion with Juyeon, I've decided to find my bride and talk to her about this. I don't agree with most of the cat's options and the fair lady is the only one who can convince him to consider taking on a different strategy instead.

And so, I found her at the lobby with... the Knave? That's surprising. I thought they despised each other.

"You two are?"
"Not spending time together but... also together? He doesn't stop bothering me at all."

She shrugs as my good friend, Sunwoo, rolls his eyes. Her eyes followed the words written on the tiny piece of paper as she spoke it all over and over again. Oh, she really was practicing her vows for the wedding. That's quite pleasant.

Quite odd to think about it because we are not even together.

"This woman must be clinically insane, Chanhee. Do you know how many times she's rejected my offers and even addressed me with a few insults?"

My close friend asks with the most offended look on his face as Y/N rolls her eyes, shaking her head at Sunwoo's question. Clearly, they aren't getting along but they've managed to be in one room together? Sitting beside each other? That must've felt like hell for both of them.

How petty could their fights get? I don't even want to know. These two are equally stubborn.

"How is calling you persistent an insult? That's just the truth, Sunwoo."

She lifts her head up from her written vows as her left eye twitches, causing Sunwoo to shush her almost immediately.

"Silence, fair lady. I am talking to the prince."

He says, putting a finger above her lips as she lightly slaps his hand away before reading her vows once more. Sunwoo later decides to just get off of the couch, walking towards me with crossed arms and an exhausted look on his face. He was getting tired of guarding the girl no matter where she went but I knew he's just exaggerating the way he's expressing his tiredness.

I know Sunwoo prefers to end someone's life than watch over someone who annoys him so much. That's just the life of the Knave. He wants action, not annoyance.

But shouldn't he be happy that he's not the only one who's annoying in this palace?

"I hate this woman. Why must you marry her? You could've just married someone else in this palace instead of this insulting lady."

He turns to look back at her, causing Y/N to make a face as he does the same. I took a deep breath, rolling my eyes at the immaturity that these two had. Well, maybe if Sunwoo did leave Y/N alone, he wouldn't have been dealing with this.

"Marrying her is the only way for me to succeed in my goals."

I respond, causing him to furrow his brows even more. I wasn't sure if he was confused but maybe he was. Besides, I've never told him anything about it.

I've never told him my thoughts behind this sudden decision of marrying a fascinating stranger.

"You still don't tell me about those goals, my prince."
"I have secrets that shouldn't be shared with anyone else... Not even my closest friend..."

I state as Sunwoo lets out a sigh, looking down at the ground.

"However, the result of succeeding in my goals will be for the best of everyone's lives."

I remind him once again just like what I always do years ago as the Knave rolls his eyes once more before nodding, later walking away without a clue about what I have in mind. I would never tell him about my plan. I know that he's someone who understands me and someone that I've been close friends with for such a long time.