No.5

The sound of what I learned to be a wheelchair has happened to be something my ears have unconsciously searched for wherever I went ever since seeing her for the first time.

Touching my pursed lips, why was I so worked up? A mere earthian with an odd disability, it was annoying. Her weakness bothered me.

Once the sound has gotten closer there was no mistake, she was coming towards me. Pretending to not know I waited until the wheels stopped not far from where I currently sat.

"Hello," she greeted. Her voice as usual a puzzle my mind couldn't solve. "Are you better now?" she referred to the situation from the first day, and even after a few days how could I be? She had no idea of the magnitude this universe carried.

"No," I answered shortly.

The wind has breezed over my face; it was a feeling I was yet to embrace. Earth was an odd planet, the atmosphere and weather without a doubt stood up to its legends and gossip.

My eyes carefully tracked the side of the woman's face. Gentle features, those suited her well. Slim face with full cheeks and round chin. She was gorgeous, but what captivated me the most were her irises in the color of the Jakkarian's sand storm that for thousands of years wildly ruled over the planet.

The unexpected gasp that left the second her lips parted made me react automatically, catching the scarf that was stolen by the wind.

She observed me with those large pupils, now much bigger than before. Standing above her with my hand reaching over her shoulder, we were close. Maybe too close for me to be with an earthian, or anyone for that matter. I valued my space yet I discarded it completely for a piece of fabric.

Grazing the side of her shoulder as I retraced my hand—it made her body flinch. For a second my heart acted oddly, some sort of unexpected drop. I had to run a scan later, an unusual behavior had to be monitored.

"Here you go," I waited patiently till the scarf was securely retrieved, but when she's done no effort to do so I glanced at her with curiosity.

"How? How did you do it so quickly?" her voice was conflicted; did I act too carelessly? "Before I even reacted— You were already in front of me, catching it as it flew away."

Clenching my teeth I wondered, was I really that fast? Earth was confusing, I didn't know what was normal and what not.

"I'm sorry, I'm being rude, aren't I?" she chuckled to herself, shaking her head, and mustering an apologetic smile. "Thank you." Saving me a great deal of trouble my muscles relaxed. I had to be more careful.

Sighing, glad that we avoided this rather unpleasant situation I gently—not wishing to hurt or upset her—entangled the scarf around her neck.

Again, her pupils dilated and cheeks grew warmer against the chilly weather. Whatever it meant I didn't mind it, secretly enjoying her reactions.

"Thank you..." she whispered from under the thick fabric of her scarf. Her tone was different, I didn't recognize it, nor hear it once before.

Either way this was enough foolishness for a day. Heading for my backpack I threw it over my shoulder and began to walk away. She hasn't stopped me, but the thin sound she made with her breath has told me she did try to say something before catching her own tongue.

Using the watch to scan my health, it didn't report anything abnormal except the blood circling a bit faster during my encounter with the woman.

Walking through the school I spotted my friend making a fuss over something irrelevant. Dropping my shoulders in surrender not having the mental focus to argue with her over earthian things for the nth time, I made my way towards her and squinted my eyes to scan the object she held.