No.8

Happy Valentine's Day 🌷

Washu POV

"You are amazing! Thank you so much, we will nail this presentation!" my project partner exclaimed after checking the notes. "I will see you on Friday," he told me before leaving the library.

"Bye-bye," I uttered, giving him a tiny wave as a blush crept onto my cheeks.

Smiling to myself; it was difficult to contain the happiness spreading inside. Noone has ever appreciated my work before, the boy wasn't even aware how much his lighthearted comment meant. Used to constant bullying and degrading by the fellow students this was truly another world.

Over the years fear, shame, and uncertainty have shaped into disgust. Elina never knew, she never could, because I wouldn't allow for it. However, whenever she headed out for missions—leaving me behind the Pentagon walls—a fake smile and demeanor I've put in front has slowly integrated with my own.

Don't do it — I repeatedly told myself as I imagined showing my full potential, my powers, and my true identity, making them all regret the things they've said and done.

Shaking it off I promised myself not to dwell on our lives up in that nightmare, instead to enjoy this world for as long as possibly given. I knew Elina didn't want to waste any time and I respected that. Still, I was going to use every second of my freedom so when back in the prison we called home the memories of earth were going to be the ones to keep me sane.

"They can never find out what you are, promise me, never. Understood?"

I do my dear friend, chuckling at the memory of her fearful expression when she held my shoulders and practically begged to comply.

Hey, Elina... Did you know what it was going to do to me? Would you still say these words, if you knew how much it was going to mess me up?

Suddenly my stomach tightened. The scent of the peeled tangerine, warmth of the fire during winter's nights, and fresh morning air I've only experienced when wandering alone on the abandoned planet. Unfortunately, my mind already knew who it belonged to, from the first time I've sensed it to the second her icy irises looked into mine.

The bloody troll girl.

Turning towards her she was standing with a guy who appeared to be taller next to her short height but was nothing compared to mine. Not my proudest moment, but I allowed myself to listen to their conversation, which she must have noticed. The girl was clever and much more than met the eye. She shot me a quick wink before continuing her monologue about the lecture. Slightly flustered by being caught so easily I turned back and continued to work on my notes.

Out of nowhere her curly black locks danced in front of my face, the scent was so strong my heart was about to explode like a star reaching the end of its life. Pulling away I looked at her in shock, she giggled at my reaction—marvelous.

"There's something called personal space," I grumbled not liking the idea of her getting this closely.

A tiny scoff left her pursed lips but quickly formed right back into a smile. That fake smile I despised so much, reminding me of the suffocating feelings and pain. She had it too, whatever she was trying to hide however, was still there. While I promised myself for as long as my foot was outside the Pentagon to never act again.

"Just wanted to say hi," her innocent voice that for certain wasn't real has irritated me. She was getting on my nerves with the fake attitude and words. "Don't see your friend trying to murder me, I guess it wasn't that bad after all?"