No.15

Happy birthday to me and all of my fellow march babies! ❤️ Hope you like the chapter.

"It doesn't happen often... Sorry about that, and also that it took this long," Haze found the need to apologize before handing me the results of his investigation.

"It's blank," I pointed at my ancestry table. "All of it is blank," I repeated the obvious, unsure of how to react. "What—why?"

My heart felt broken and mind confused, weren't they supposed to be able to find this relatively simple information?

"Either your planet has been destroyed, in which case we still should have been able to find the connection unless the Pentagon has erased it from all the data in order to hide their sins. They don't do it often, but I'm aware it happens."

A scoff has pushed through my pursed lips, of course. No matter how close I was to the truth, Pentagon was always there a few steps ahead of me—watching.

"So there's no way to find out?" I asked for a confirmation.

Haze sighed heavily and shook his head. "Not from us, no."

Recently my emotions have been at its peak, overwhelmed by everything and everyone to the point where any movement was a fight against my mind. This, however, well this just sealed the deal.

"Thanks," I muttered and turned around, walking away before he could say anything else.

Heading towards the dorm I felt my knees bending under each step, and aching heart preventing me from taking a breath. Who am I?

"Too bad, huh."

Squeezing my eyes shut it took me a few seconds before preparing myself for this conversation.

"Fuck off," I snapped, doing my best to look forward and get back home.

"Where is home?" his genuine curiosity mixed with devilish amusement wasn't doing me any better.

Ignoring his existence I kept on walking, putting on some speed wanting to escape him, knowing well such an option didn't exist.

"It's good news you know?" he voiced without permission. "The truth would have been irrelevant and Pentagon doesn't forgive. You know what they are capable of, don't you Elina?"

"Why are you here Keith?" I spat through gritted teeth, doing my best to control the urge and smash his head with my fist. "Have they sent you to watch me? It hasn't been long, I still have some time," I thought out loud.

Suddenly he paused and I couldn't bring myself to walk away. His dark irises emanating with emotion I couldn't decipher. What was he getting at now?

"Have I ever done anything else than looking after you?" there was judgment in his tone. "Without me, how many times would you go against them, how many times would you end up in the pit? Don't you get it?"

Frowning I shook my head, oblivious to his words. Keith was a monster; he was ruthless and had no heart. Raising my hand, I pointed at him as if I held a gun, he replicated the movement. Standing in front of each other, we were ready to kill a part of ourselves.

"I kill when you can't, I listen when you don't want to face the reality, and I'm ensuring that you will never go against them because we know how it ends. I won't let you die."

"You are a monster..." I accused, not accepting his explanation.

He frowned deeply before his eyes snapped to the side dilating at whatever it was he saw. Following in the direction of his current view my heart skipped at the sight of Nahla, walking with her crutches instead of the wheelchair. Concern has rushed through every cell of my body.