Chapter 9

Being back at the palace gave me a strange sense of deja vu. Four years ago, this was my home. I was ready to sacrifice my freedom to stay here for him. Now, it was a nightmare in front of me. My childrens' birth father was in these walls, preparing for this whole new selection that I am forced into rejoining. Why does the universe hate me?

Marlee looked at me, gauging my reaction as she drove into the parking by the kitchen, hidden at the side of the palace. The area is mainly used for food and delivery trucks, but Marlee has been granted access as she leaves the palace to visit on the time that she has off. While I was trying to keep it together, Eadlyn was freaking out, excited as ever, and Ahren was gagging, trying not to throw up again. Marlee parked and I got out, heading straight for my son, whom I picked up, and cradled in my arms.

 At this point, I do not care about all of the potential puke that will be on me. I just hope Marlee knows what she is doing before I get caught with the secret I have been keeping from his royal highness for four years.  Marlee helps get Eadlyn and Kile out, and then we head inside the walls, heading to the hospital wing. 

At least the hospital wing is not far from the kitchen, as it would be a nightmare trying to go far as there is the possibility of confrontation. Imagine passing by some official and having to explain that my son, who is secretly the son of the prince, is seriously sick and needs to get to the hospital wing.  That is a nightmare that I will not allow to happen.

We walk into the hospital wing, and I see someone I never thought I would have seen again. I am so glad that out of all people, I ran into her. She turns around from grabbing something, looking at me in shock.

"Lady America, is that really you?" She looks at my two kids, and smiles, only to look up at me with a questioning look. Ahren is hiding in the crook of my neck, so I don't have to deal with everything being spoiled. Yet.

"Anne, I need your help. I'll try to answer all of your questions later, but Ahren," I signal to my son that is burning up in my arms "is seriously sick, and I don't want to wait any longer for him to get help." Anne jumps into her serious businesslike mode. It reminds me of when I was shot and she was the one who stitched me up.  She signals for me to follow her, and I follow her to a private room where a hospital bed is.

"Is he running a fever?" I set him down on the bed when Eadlyn hugs my leg. I look at Marlee, who knows that I need time to figure this out, without the stress of another kid around. She nods, and guides Eadlyn out of the room with Kile, trying to find a distraction for them.

"Yes, it is over 105 degrees Fahrenheit, and he has been vomiting, like crazy." Anne's eyes grow wide at that, and she looks down at Ahren. She seems to be in more shock, noticing how red he is. She visibly gulps, seeming to notice, but then she looks back at me, almost confused.

She knows. The secret that I have hidden from everyone seems to be figured out by anyone and everyone around. She never has been one to judge me, but I know that she is trying to help. She takes a deep breath before looking me in the eye, sensing that this is hard for me.

"Oh goodness, I am going to have to call for Dr. Ashlar, but I need you to know that I can't promise that he won't need records of health." My eyes go wide, knowing exactly what that means. I don't even know all of Maxon's health history, but I am risking everything for this. I nod at Anne, as she sympathetically rushes out of the room, leaving me with Ahren, who is whimpering in pain.

"Ahren, you're going to be okay baby. What hurts the most?" He looks at me, tears in his eyes, causing my heart to crack. 

"My tummy and my head hurt mommy. Make it stop." He starts crying, even more, leading me to feel so beyond weak. I pull up a chair in the room by his bed and start rubbing his tummy lightly. I can't do anything to stop his pain, but this is the least that I can do. I perk up, as Dr. Ashlar comes into the room. Anne is not here this time, and I sigh, wishing that there was a friendly face for me to talk to, but I know that she has other responsibilities.

"Hi, Lady America. Long time no see. I hear that there is someone who is not feeling too well." He looks at Ahren, trying to stay calm. He is good at what he does, and I know I can trust that he will bring him back to his usual healthy self. 

"Hi, Dr. Ashlar. This is Ahren, he," I gulp before telling my secret to yet another person of my past "is my son, and he has a high fever. He says his stomach and head hurts, and he has been throwing up." Dr. Ashlar inhaled at the son portion of my statement but then continued to write down all of the information about Ahren's condition. 

"I need you to fill out this form while I start to check up on him, to get health records down." I grab a clipboard from him and fill in all that I know. I left some of the spots blanks, not sure what to do. I need to put Ahren's health first, but doing that risks everything. I stare at it for a few seconds, debating my choices.

There is soon enough a knock on the door to the private room, and an all too familiar head peaks in the room, staring at me shocked. 

"America- what are you doing here?" Dr. Ashlar stares between us, confused, and Ahren sits up, confused as to why the familiar face that he only saw days ago was in the room. Dr. Ashlar bows, before continuing to find some medicine for Ahren. 

"Hi, Maxon."

A/N

I'm so sorry!!! I have been inactive on this story for over a year, but I will try to upload as often as I can now!! I have started high school, and have been so stressed!! I don't even know if anyone is going to read this, but if you happen to still be here, thank you!! I love all of you, and go out into the world, treating others with kindness.

-Kenzie