Chapter 7

I stare back at Aspen. I never thought I would see his face again after what happened when I left.

"Hi, America." He looks at me, smiling. Why does everybody have to be so happy the day I am about to be forced to sign my life away to be with the prince, again?!

"What are you doing here? I thought you had better things to do than come to visit me, after 4 years."

"I know, I do not have any excuses, since I ruined you and-"

"We don't speak of you know who in the household." He looks at me, eyes wide as if he does not believe what I am saying. Then, he looks down, and his eyes become even wider. I look down and see the twins hugging my legs. Great. Another person I have to explain this to. I thought I was done for at least a month!

"Aspen, this is my daughter Eadlyn and my son Ahren. Eady and Ahren, this is mommy's old friend... Aspen. He is a guard at the palace."

"SO YOU GET TO BE WITH THE ROYALTY?!" Of course Eadlyn starts to freak out. The word palace makes her all jumpy, and she gets all excited. Aspen bends down so he is at her level.

"Yes, I do. I help keep them safe." He smiles at her, and then he looks over to Ahren who is hiding behind my leg. He stands back up, and gives me a look. I know that look from anywhere. He knows. Ahren is practically his father's identical twin.

"Eady, Ahren, why don't you go play with Astra and your Aunt May and Uncle Gerad." They look up at me and nod, running of to run to the playroom with my sister, brother and neice. I then walk outside, signalling for Aspen to follow me out.

"So, I am pretty sure I know what happened with those two..."

"I am not denying the fact that you do. You are the one who walked in on us!" His face turns beet red, and he nods, clearly embarrassed.

"Why are you even here Aspen? Why do you decide to come back, now?" 

"Mer, I need you to know what's been happening at the palace since you have left."

"I am trying to forget that place, but I clearly can not because it is pysically impossible for somebody to not bring it up at even one interview! Now, I am going to be tortured with it some more?! I just had to deal with forgetting it, and now I have to go back there? If you can not tell Aspen, there is a reason you are one of the only people that know about the twins!" He looks at me, he seems to be shocked, but he takes a breath before he says anything.

"America, I get it. I am not here with the selection form, somebody else will be bringing that. I just wanted to warn you of somethings that you need to know when you come back." I nod, clearly understanding that there is no way of getting out of this conversation.

"I know Marlee comes here, and I do not know if she told you that the rebel attack numbers went down when Kriss was princess. Now that she is not princess, they have gone back up, seeming to be a bit more violent for unknown reasons. The palace is working on new plans." My eyes go wide at this. What if I have to bring Eadlyn and Ahren with me? I can't leave them, especially during a rebel attack! 

"Aspen, I might have to bring the twins with! I can not be there if they are constantly in danger!"

"It seems that Maxon knows something. He seems to want it to be even safer, and he is extremely sleep deprived because of it."

"He may or may not... have run into them..."

"MAXON WHAT?"

"When I had my concert over a month ago, he showed up. I told him I was over him, but the twins came in the room and he met them. I don't think he knows that they are his though."

"That makes sense! He seems to be hinding something. I am just glad I still am working at the palace. After he found out that I was telling you we were done, he felt so guilty. I don't think anybody besides people that really know him noticed that he was beating himself up that he left you when you were ready to fully commit. It is clear that the divorce has lifted his spirits, and he seems even more focussed, and even excited for the selection. I think we all know the real reason though."

"I am just so annoyed that he has to try to get me back now. If only he let me explain, we would not be in this mess. Now I have to explain this to the twins, who will have two OPPOSITE reactions. I am telling you, they will go as I say. Eadlyn will be all 'WE GET THE LIVE IN THE PALACE AND WEAR FANCY DRESSES?! THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER!!' Ahren is extremely anxious, and he will freak out. He will hide behind my leg, and try to get away from everything there. I have to dedicate my full attention to them, and this will change that!"

"America, we both know that Ma- he is extremely understanding, and will do anything that you need of him. You will have Marlee there, and Kile is also there, so she will help as well. It might even be better. You will always have help, and they will always get to be with someone they know that is their age." 

I take a deep breath and sigh. I know he is probably right, but I just don't want to admit it. I always want to be able to protect my babys, and that is my motherly instinct. I have to do this, and I know I will not be alone.

I take a deep breath, "I never thought my life would be like this, but I guess I will just have to find out." I can't let fear get in the way, I know that, But that does not mean that I will listen to what is right.

A/N

Hi! I AM SO SORRY FOR NOT POSTING LAST WEEK! I have been so busy, and I still have another chapter to write for my other book! (If you have not checked it out yet, you definitely should check it out!) I am starting school this upcoming Monday, so I might be behind a bit more often I promise I will always try to upload, but school might make me busy. I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

-Kenzie