Chapter 3

The twins look at Maxon, and he smiles down at them. He has a look on his face. I surprisingly could still read him after 4 years. He is shocked and utterly confused. 

"Are you really the Prince?" Eadlyn is so curious, but it is not the time to be questioning him! If only she knew what a trainwreck he put me through! She is so excited because all she talks about are princesses and dolls. Maxon kneels down, so he is at her level.

"Yes, I am. What are you two cuties names?" I notice he is looking at Ahren, and I remember that he and Ahren look exactly the same. I look down and see that Ahren is trying to hide into me. Ahren is a bit shy. He does not meet people often. That is one thing that Eadlyn and Ahren are polar opposites for. Well, that and the fact that Eadlyn is sassy. 

Eadlyn sits up straight, being extremely giddy and excited he wants to know about her.

Why today? Of all the days on the planet! The day I bring the twins with me, he has to show up! It has been 4 years! Does he not understand he is the one who broke MY heart?

"My name is Eadlyn," She then turns her head and points at Ahren, "and that is my brother Ahren." I look up, past him at Celeste and Marlee. I give them a look, saying we need to get the twins out of here. Celeste nods, still in shock.

"Eady, Ahren, let's go pack up your toys in the other room. We have to head home soon." The twins look up at Celeste and nod. They both run-up to her and Marlee. Marlee gives me a sympathetic look, and the four of them walk out. Well, Marlee and Celeste walk, while Marlee is holding Ahren, and Eadlyn is holding Celeste's hand and skipping.

I notice that Maxon stood back up, and he takes the seat across from me. I am practically forced to look into his eyes. I take a deep breath, and I realize how tense I am.

"Hello, America. I wanted to come to congratulate you. You were amazing. I thought my mom would calm you a bit after... well the events that happened. I know-"

"You make it sound like it was my fault! If you let me tell you what really happened, we would not be in this situation! Why are you even here! Shouldn't you and Kriss be at one of her stupid little party that she throws every weekend!?"

"America, please calm down. I know, it was my fault. Kriss has guests over, and she is hanging out with some of her friends from back home. My mom and I did not want to be there, and we saw that you had a concert tonight. She has been missing you, and so have I-"

"What is done is done! I have a life, and so do you!"

"America, I know you are mad right now, and I know you have probably heard, but you are invited to perform at the charity ball coming up. I just hope you and I can be friends again."

"It is not that easy! I have my life, and you have yours! I can't be there, because the press is going to be going at me for some 'royal scandal' that never is happening! Everyone was shocked when you chose Kriss, and they always ask me about you!"

"I suppose that will be hard. But, I am pretty sure I know the real reason. Nobody has ever said anything about you having kids. Nobody has even said anything about you getting with someone." 

He was catching on! I could not let him find out that the twins were his!

"It did not work out, and I did not want to have everything in the media. I protect them from the world because, well there are many different reasons." He knows that what we did is illegal, and I am basically telling the truth. 

"I understand that. If that is why you can't go to the ball, which I assume it is, I understand. I just want you to know that I have been thinking of you. I hope we can be friends." I watch as he stands up. He walks towards the door. He seems to hesitate when grabbing the nod. He turns around to look at me. He looks as if he forgot something.

"America, I don't know what I was thinking that day. I told you the day before that I wanted everything with you, even the fights! I am such an idiot! I know now that Aspen did and does not want you like that. I am so dumb for leaving you that day. I can't live with Kriss! I don't even love her! I have tried so hard! I just want you! I love you, and that will never change!" He is right in front of me. I stand up, and the next thing I know, his lips are on mine.

They are as soft as ever. His strong arms are wrapped around my back. I wish I can stay here forever. 

I then realize that he is kissing me. If anybody has seen this, we were dead meat! He is married! I pull back and look into his eyes, shocked.

"Maxon, we can not do this. You made a choice, and we could get killed if anyone finds out about this!"

" I am sorry America. I thought I was-" 

"Maxon, can you please just move on?! I was and am still hurt every day from what happened! I can not get hurt again! Please just leave me. We both have our own lives, and they are separate. That is how it is meant to be." He looks at me, nods, and heads for the door. He opens it and leaves. 

I flop back down on the couch. I start balling my eyes out. I can not go through this again.

The door opens up minutes later, and I am surrounded by my children and my two best friends. I know I need to be strong for Eadlyn and Ahren, but I can not deal with my emotions right now. They try to help calm me, but they end up practically dragging me home and putting the twins to bed while I am having a breakdown.

I am the worst mom, and I don't deserve all of these people surrounding me. Why did I sign up for the Selection? It is the worst thing that has EVER happened to me, and it is still happening. 

A/N

Hi! It is almost July when I am writing this, but you will not get this until mid-July. I hope you are enjoying this so far! I don't have much else to say... so I guess I am signing out. 

-Kenzie