Chapter 4

It has been a week since I saw Maxon. Celeste has been here for me. She does not know what happened, but she has been helping me through this. The twins are oblivious of it all, and I am happy that they have not questioned me. I try to be strong for them, but I have been needing some of Celeste's help.

I feel like I need to reward them. They are always there for me. I have been such a bad mom. I need to get him out of my mind and focus on the twins. I have an idea, but I will have to wait a few days before I can reward them.

Celeste and I decided earlier that we would take the twins to a local park, as long as we went with a wig and colored contacts. So here we are, on a picnic blanket with the twins. Eadlyn and Ahren always think it is silly when we dress up to go out in public, but they have gotten used to it.

Eadlyn and Ahren are sharing some berries, chips, and peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It is a beautiful Saturday, and I am so happy we are outside. We watched a movie with the twins instead of the report last night, and I am so relieved we did. I am not going to be able to get the events of last week out of mind.

"Mommy, can we go play on the playground?" I look up to see that Eady and Ahren already finished their lunch.

"What do you say?"

"Please?"

"Yes, you can play for a little bit." They cheer and run to the playground. There are one or two other kids, but they play together. The twins do not socialize with others that much.

"America, I know you don't want to talk about it, but I think it is time. We need to talk about what happened at the concert." I am not ready for this conversation, but I knew I had it coming.

"Okay, what about it?"

"You know what about it! You can not keep this all to yourself! You need to tell someone. Keeping it all to yourself will hurt you even more than you already are!" I look around to make sure nobody can hear what I am about to tell Celeste. Nobody is. I tell her everything.

"America, why did you keep this from me?"

"I did not want you to make a big deal about it."

"Ames, you need to be able to talk to me. We both know that you want what is best for the twins, and keeping this all to yourself affects them. You may not see it, but it is true." 

I feel so guilty that I am hurting the twins.

"I think you might need a visitor sometime soon."

"But, the twins-"

"Don't worry, they will not be released to the public. I already know who you need a visit from. I actually called them last night, and they will be here today."

"So you are telling me someone is going to show up at our house any time?!"

"Actually, we are here at the park Ames." I turn around, realizing that I know that voice. May.

"May? Mom? Gerad? Kenna? James? What are you doing here?"

"Celeste called us, saying that you need some company, and we flew out this morning." 

I remember I have not told them about the twins. I have not even really spoken to them since I lost the selection. I was to upset, and then I was so busy with the twins.

"Mommy? Who is this?" I turn around, to see Eady and Ahren looking at my family. Why does everybody have to come at the worst time? I notice my family has wide eyes. They are all staring at the twins and shocked. 

"Eady, Ahren, this is my family." I pointed out everybody to them. Even little Astra, who I had not noticed until now.

"Everybody, this is my daughter Eady, and my son Ahren."

"Wait, Ames. You had kids, and did not tell your own mother?!" Mom and the rest of my family look so upset and confused.

"Can we please talk about this later?" I gave her a face, showing that I was serious, and she gave me wide eyes. The next thing I know, everybody is hugging. I am being enveloped into hugs by everyone, and so are the twins and Celeste.

~Time Skip~

We just arrived at home, and the twins rushed off with Astra, who is their age, and May, James, and Gerad in their playroom. I was left with Mom, Celeste,  and Kenna. I knew I could not hide this fact from them.

"Ames, please tell me why you did not tell me about my own grandchildren!" At that moment, I lose it. I start crying. Kenna and Celeste come to comfort me. Kenna and Mom seem so confused, but Celeste knows how hard this is for me.

"I'm so sorry. I was protecting them! I was so overwhelmed, and I thought you were all mad at me that I lost!"

"America, you can not win everything. We were confused, but we never wanted you to hide from us! I have missed you. I  force out a small smile at Kenna and take a deep breath.

"When I left the selection, I left with a huge surprise. I was not only upset, but I was given something. The twins."

"Wait, America! They are his!?" Mom was so shocked.

"Yes. We made a mistake, and now, they are here. I don't want to give details, but just know that I am incredibly sorry. I have been trying to protect them! Nobody knows besides Celeste, Marlee, and now both of you."

"Ames, I, and I am sure mom as well, promise not to tell anyone." Mom nods, and the next thing I know, we are all talking about the twins. I told them all about them, and the mood got lighter.

"America, I did not want to say anything, but did you see the report yesterday?" 

"No. We all watched a movie instead. Why?"

"Maxon and Kriss are getting divorced." 

The whole room starts spinning, and people are saying something, that I can not make out. The whole room turns dark in seconds.

A/N

Cliffhanger!!! 

Hi! When I am writing this, this book is going to be published tomorrow! I am so excited! I hope you all are enjoying the story so far! What do you think will happen to America? Will Maxon find out the twins are his? -Kenzie