Chapter 6

I wake up due to the smell and sound of sizzling bacon. I sit up and stretch, and check the clock to see that it is 9:00 in the morning. I get out of bed and head to the bathroom. In there, I brush my teeth, and then I walk out to the kitchen. In there, is my whole family and Celeste. Mom and Kenna are cooking bacon, eggs and pancakes while Eadlyn, Ahren, Gerad, Astra, May, James, and Celeste are sitting at the table.

"Good morning sleepyhead." I notice Celeste staring straight at me, and then everybody slowly turn to see me. 

"Good morning."

Eadlyn runs up to me, and puts her arms up for me to pick her up. I grab her, and position her so she is sitting on my waist. I then go to where she was sitting, and sit down. I position her so she is sitting on my lap. Ahren is right next to me, so I pull him into a side hug. He leans into the hug and then sits back up, so he finish eating his breakfast. Eadlyn has already finished, and the next thing I know, there is a plate of mouthwatering food in front of me. I dig in, and then look up to see the whole table looking at me.

"What?"

"Well, do you want to know what was on the report last night?" I was trying to not talk about it, but now that Mom brought it up, there is no avoiding it.

"What is the report?" Of course my shy and innocent little Ahren wants to know everything he can, and of course I had hidden it from him.

"Ahren, baby, the report is when the royals talk about important news in our country. They talk about different ways to fix problems and different things that are going on at the palace."

"YOU MEAN WITH THE PRINCE AND THE PRINCESS?!" Eadlyn slides off my lap, and starts jumping up and down. WHY does my child want to be a royal? I bet if she knows who her dad is, she will leave me to be at the palace.

"Yes, Eadlyn. Please don't scream in the house." She now has her hands over her mouth, but she continues to jump up and down, clearly excited by this conversation. As soon as she calms down a bit, she sits back on my lap.

"Okay Mom, what did the report say?" I take a deep breath, nervous that I will be involved in whatever is going on at the palace.

"Well, Prince Maxon is going to have all the selected that are single back, and he is going to do the process again to get more people." I sigh, knowing that if all the kids were not hear, I would be screaming. I take a deep breath before I respond.

"Is it optional for the selected to go back?"

"No. It is mandatory, or you will be thought as disrespectful to the royal family." I look at Celeste, and see her have a smug smile on her face. I am taken aback, clearly confused by her reaction.

"Why are you so... what's the word... shockingly HAPPY Celeste? I thought you did not want to be back with him!" She looks at me, and gives me a small, but a sad smile.

"Well... I was going to wait to tell you, but after you fell asleep last night, I got a message from Derick, telling me to come over.

"You mean the guy you met when you went out the other week without me?" 

"Yes. He asked me out, and I said yes. Since I am not single anymore, I do not have to join the selection." I can feel fumes coming out of my ears now. I don't want to yell with kids around, but I am so furious at Celeste right now! I take a deep breath.

"Celeste, may I please talk to you outside?" She gives me a look, knowing that she is going to be yelled at, and slowly nods, standing up from her chair. I set Eadlyn down on the chair as I get up, my plate half full, and I walk to the backdoor and step outside. Celeste follows and I close the backdoor.

"YOU EXPECT ME TO DO THIS ALL ALONE?! EVERY OTHER SELECTED IS MARRIED OR TAKEN, EXCEPT ME! I AM THE ONE THAT REALLY SHOULD NOT BE THERE OUT OF EVERYBODY!"

"America, I know. I was going to wait and tell you, but I had to say yes! I knew I would be chosen, and I don't want to go back their either!"

"WHAT ABOUT THE TWINS?! I CANNOT JUST LEAVE THEM HERE WHILE I AM OFF WITH THE PRINCE, THE ABSOLUTE LAST PERSON I WANT TO SEE EVER AGAIN! AND WHAT WOULD EADLYN THINK, HUH?! PRINCESS LOVING EADLYN WILL THINK IT IS THE COOLEST THING IN THE WORLD, AND I WOULD JUST HAVE TO LEAVE HER!! AHREN TOO! HE GETS SO ANXIOUS AND SHY AS IT IS! WHAT WOULD HE DO WITHOUT ME?!"

"America, I know we will have to figure this all out. It will be hard, but Maxon will probably let them come with. He has met them before, and I think he would honestly like some more kids around the palace. You know that it gets lonely there, and Kyle is lonely half the time. They would get to seem him all the time, and Marlee could help watch them when you are busy." 

"CELESTE! AHREN GETS WAY TO ANXIOUS AROUND OTHER PEOPLE! HE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO BE IN THE PALACE, AND HAVE TO LEARN ALL OF THE ROYAL MANNERS, REMEMBER THEM, AND NOT GET ANXIOUS WHENEVER HE ENCOUNTERS SOMEONE!" Celeste sighs, and grabs my hand.

"America, I know how you feel about this, and I agree with you. I really don't want you to go, but you have no other choice.  I really wish-" All of a sudden, the door slides open, and May's head pops out of the door. May's eyes are really wide.

"May, what is it?"

"You have a visitor at the door."

"Okay, thank you May." I walk into the house, and over to the front door. I see one of the people I would have never expected to see again in a million years.

Aspen Leger.

CLIFFHANGER!!

A/N

Hi! I am writing this in a hotel because I hate time change, and I am not tired. (It is like midnight where I am, but it would be eleven at home for me.) Well, anyways, I will be leaving this hotel and going to a beach house for the rest of the week, so I thought it would be easiest to get this done on Saturday (August 1st) while I am bored. I am watching Hidden Figures while writing this, and I am surprised I actually was able to focus on writing while watching. Well, I think you guys have had enough of my rambling, so I will leave this A/N here. I love you guys, and please stay safe!

-Kenzie