Chapter 5: Dinner

Adrian Casey

"You have to bend your knees more when you land next time" my dad said standing over me as I lay with my back flat on the snow staring up at him. I had been practicing some new tricks in preparation for our upcoming competition that would take place in Aspen in three weeks, and then we had rougly under two months before the Park City Open, which was the biggest competition over in our state, so it was crucial that I started perfecting these new tricks now, so by the time these bigger competitions rolled around, I was landing them with ease.

"Yeah, I know, I know" I grunted, propping myself up with my elbows. "Now help me up, would ya'" I said, extending my hand out for my dad to grab and pull me up.

I had wiped out a couple times already, but that never phased me. I've gotten my fair share of bad bruises, and sprains but never an injury bad enough where I had to sit out and miss a competition or practice. I knew wiping out was part of the process, and I absolutely hated bailing on the course. It was so embarrassing and in my opinion I would rather wipe out attempting something new, than showing any fear and bailing on it.

Dad and I had been out here on the course for the past five hours. Cycling through the process of hitting the jumps, and the rails, and practicing my technique. It was around six in the evening when we decided to call it a day, and get home in time for dinner. It was Wednesday so we were having pizza night which always excited me.

At dinner we told my family the news about the sponsorship which they all congratulated me on and then my dad informed them that we would be having a lot of company over on Saturday. My mom got excited about getting all of these families together because it's a rare occurrence when everyone's parents get to hang out and talk. Although they see each other here and there when they watch us kids compete, those days are so hectic there's no time for any leisure.

The rest of the week was spent doing the same thing I did every day. Wake up, practice, go home, maybe do some school work, have dinner, sleep, and then do it all over again. It sounds boring, and it sounds really repetitive but it's my schedule and I love it. Everything led up to Saturday night where my mother made sure that we all dressed like we were out going to a fancy restaurant for dinner, even though we were just staying in.

"Adrian, make sure you're dressed and ready, our guests will be here soon!" my mom called from downstairs. I lightly groaned because I was looking forward to getting everything finalized, but I was not looking forward to playing nice and making cheap small talk with Luke all night.

"You can do this," I whispered to the reflection of myself in the mirror taking in my appearance. I was wearing a simple navy blue dress that stopped at my mid-thigh, with spaghetti straps, and since we were just at my house I paired the dress with a beautiful pair of beat up old converse. "All you have to do is be nice. You can do that, you can be nice" I said through gritted teeth, shooting my reflection a fake smile. "No, don't do that, that's horrible."

"Adrian!" my mother called after me again from the kitchen downstairs.

"Coming!" I yelled back taking that as a cue that someone's family had just arrived. "You got this" I whispered to myself one last time before giving myself finger guns and a wink and making my way down stairs.

"Oh thank god" I whispered as I turned the corner to see that Calum and his family were the first to arrive. At least now I would have someone to talk to, and it wouldn't be incredibly awkward.

Calum's parents were mid conversation with mine, while Brandon and Calum were talking about God knows what. I made my way into the dinning room to stand next to my parents and greet Calum's, extending my hand out for them to shake, and then excusing myself to go save Calum from whatever nonsense Brandon was filling his ears with.