Chapter 10: a conversation

Luke Hemmings

I was at home sitting at my desk, wondering if I should text her again. I mean, I did tell her not to ignore me, the question is, would she actually listen? I wouldn't be surprised if she just left me on read again, but after today's training session, I knew I was slowly cracking her.

She was doing everything she could to get a reaction out of me on the course today and I could tell it was frustrating her. She threw that snowball at me and I just had to laugh. She was so desperate at that point. But me being the bigger person I am, waited to give her a little bit of the retaliation I know she craved. Sometimes she was very easy to read, other times not so much, but man was she making it really easy right now.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and stared at the screen, thinking about what was a good opening text. It took a moment before I figured I was just going to text her the same thing I did the night before and hope she listened to me.

What are you up to?

And here we go again. Take two. And of course, I got no response within the next fifteen minutes so I decided that I was just going to annoy her until she couldn't take it anymore and simply had to reply to me. With a mischievous grin plastered on my face, my thumbs got to work typing away several messages.

Anyway, I'm not doing much.

Just kinda chillin right now.

Trying to get some school work done, but I'm not motivated at all you know?

I've been playing video games on my PC instead.

You play any games? You should, they're pretty fun.

I had some honey nut cheerios for breakfast today, so that was good.

I don't know what I'm having for dinner yet though.

I continued to spam the girl with utter nonsense and whatever popped into my brain. I was about to send her another text but right as I was about to hit send, I proceeded to delete everything I wrote because to my surprise, she actually responded.

Stop spamming me.

At least she didn't really ignore me this time, I got a response so that was a small win.

I wouldn't be spamming you if you'd just answer.

I was about to send another text, giving her a hard time, and just to get on her nerves about how she completely left me hanging last time when she texted back.

Why are you doing this? What are you really up to?

My heart stopped. I started overthinking and definitely read too much into her text. With this girl, it was hard to tell what she really knew and what she didn't, making it hard to read her right now. Did she know what I was doing? Did she catch on that quick? How did she even know? I couldn't just blatantly admit to what I attempted to do without actually knowing first what she meant by this. I would be an idiot to confess to everything right now.

What do you mean what am I really up to?

I needed an answer before I had to figure out if I owed the girl an apology or not.

Yeah. Why are you being so fucking nice all of a sudden?

And there it was, I released the breath I didn't realize I was holding in, but my nerves were at ease now. She was intrigued by my sudden change of behavior, and she was thinking about it. Exchanging insults for essentially nothing was working, I didn't even need to swallow my pride and crack out some bullshit compliments. All I had to do was bite my tongue back. This was going to be a little easier than I thought.