Chapter 18: fundraiser

Luke Hemmings

"Luke, we're going to be late! Let's go! Now!" my mom yelled from the front door and I was still up in my room trying to pull my converse on as quickly as possible to get down stairs and file into the car with the rest of my family.

"I'm coming, just– Hold on!" I yelled back, hopping on one foot down the hallway as I attempted to quickly tie the laces on my right shoe. Finally securing the knot I jogged down the stairs and met my mom at the front door who had an annoyed look on her face already.

I hopped into the backseat of my dad's SUV to find Aubrey already buckled up and crossing her arms staring at me, while my dad sat in the driver's seat with the car engine already running.

"We're supposed to be there at four-thirty, Luke and it's four-fifteen right now. We're gonna be late" Aubrey stated, just as annoyed as my mom was not even minutes earlier.

"Relax Aub. Your stupid thing doesn't even start until six, I don't know why we have to get there so early, or why I even have to go." I said looking back at her while buckling myself into the seat, as my mom locked the front door of our house and climbed into the passenger seat.

Tonight my sister's school was having some sort of fundraiser for her class at the ice rink, and since my mom was the PTA president, that meant she had to organize and help set everything up and get volunteers and all that jazz. Due to being a blood relative of said PTA president, and relative of a member of the class we were fundraising for, this meant I had to volunteer and do whatever my mom needed me to do for things to run smoothly. I wasn't exactly sure what my mom was going to put me up to, but I was hoping it was going to be something easy, and something that didn't require my full attention like taking people's tickets because I really was not looking forward to spending my night at the ice rink surrounded by thirteen year old's and their families.

"Here" my mom said, shoving something into my hands while looking down at a clipboard and walking away to go give other volunteers their positions and explain their duties. I held out what my mom had just given me and let out a groan, as Aubrey appeared next to me and began snickering. This has to be a joke.

"What is this?" I asked, walking over to my mom and waving around the flimsy object in my hand, with Aubrey following behind me like a shadow.

"It's a hair net," my mom stated. Well no shit it's a hairnet.

"Okay well why are you giving it to me?" I asked, still holding it out in front of her face, ready to take it back from me.

"Because you're working the snack shack tonight, and you need to wear that" she said pointing to the hair net with a pen. "Don't worry, your dad will be working it with you so you won't be alone, but we really need your help tonight Luke, so please don't make things more difficult for me."

"But mom I-"

"Luke, please." She said, turning and walking away from me once again. All I could hear as I turned around to make my way to the stupid snack shack was Aubrey laughing at me.

"You're lucky I love you kid" I grumbled, pushing past her and walking through the door to meet my dad in the booth who was already wearing his hairnet, plastic gloves, and a stupid, stupid, stupid little paper hat on top of his head.

"Luke, are you ready to get to work, son?" my dad asked as he gestured to the cash register in front of me, then turned around to gesture to all of the food in the back that we were selling tonight.

"Not really, but I don't think I have a choice huh?"

"Nope!" my dad said, popping the 'p' as he placed one of those little hats on my head, and threw an apron around my neck.