ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟙𝟝

Rowan's POV

I smiled as the baby dragon flew back to me. The sunlight reflected off of her bright teal scales, and her small, teardrop shaped tail swung to and fro as she soared over.

Shadow warbled at the tiny shape, since, in all honesty, the baby was no bigger than a Terrible Terror. Shadow's sounds had no meaning that I could understand, and I understood a lot about dragons. They were simply sounds of motherly love and reassurance to this small dragon. I held out my hand for the baby to perch on, and as she did she chirped at Shadow. Her sounds truly didn't have meaning yet, since she was too recently hatched. I grinned at the two dragons.

Despite the crazy and dark circumstances we were facing after this afternoon's events, the new dragon was like a ray of sunshine on a rainy day. Literally. But still, all of us dragon flyers were more subdued and quiet than any other day. Which was incredibly unlike us on any flight, especially after a raid.

Well, most of us were more subdued and quiet than usual.

For me, it was pretty hard for me to be glum with a small dragon flying around and making me smile. I think it was the same for Fishlegs, and Heather.

Fishlegs and I had geeked out for a solid four minutes when the dragon first hatched. From what I could tell, the dude was a huge dragon nerd. And if you've lived with dragons 80% of your life like me, you wouldn't not be crazy excited if you found a new species.

Now, out of all of us, Vera, Azure, and the blonde on the Deadly Nadder (not Kara), were the saddest about this raid's outcome. I had yet to catch the blonde's name.

So, right about now you're probably wondering what's going on. It's a lot actually, so get ready. Why don't I start at the first sign of trouble?

⋅★⋅★⋅★⋅★⋅★⋅

⋅An hour and a half earlier⋅

The raid was going great. The only exception being the fact that the stupid Night Fury and his stupid rider stole Shadow's shot. Which was totally unfair.

The real drama started when Shadow and I were swooping past one of the entrances to the island's main building. The entrance and surrounding area had already been secured and all the Dragon Hunters had been tied up or knocked out. So I wasn't paying too much attention to what came out of the doorway.

Until what came out of that doorway was the pair of loud, obnoxious, blonde twins and their Zippleback dragon. The pair of twins that happened to knock down half of our mountain, trapping Acacia in the landslide. They actually looked like fun, what with all the destruction they caused. But they also looked like idiots.

The twins were walking a distance away from each other, their dragon not far behind. They were facing one another, and this was so they could play catch with whatever it was they were holding.

From here it seemed to be a... thing? It was brightly colored and very shiny, seeming to be all shades of the rainbow. It looked strangely spiky, too. That part was probably just a trick of the light. Unless...

I gasped.

It was an egg!

And those morons were going to break it if they kept tossing it around.

"Shadow!" My dragon didn't seem to have noticed the twins, and if she did, she didn't care. We were still gliding in the sky, and the distance between us and that poor egg was growing. I tried to turn Shadow myself, leaning far to the right. "Come on!"

"What is it?" My dragon groaned, irritated at my squirminess in the saddle.

"Come on!" I said again, more urgently that time. The twins could drop the egg any second now. Shadow gave me a look. It was like the dragon equivalent of cocking an eyebrow. "Turn around," I explained quickly, "there's an egg down there!"