Part 18

Casey

It's only 7pm and the music is already thumping inside of my head. Sweaty people dance around me, already intoxicated be either alcohol or each other. I'm standing in a corner of the living room where the party is in full swing, desperately waiting until Natalie gets here. She texted me a few minutes ago, telling me that she and the girls were walking over from their dorm. I offered to meet her there, but she waved me off, saying it wasn't worth going backwards and forwards when she was already with people. Little does she know I'd go halfway around the world just to make sure I was with her. 

Is that creepy or simply just loving?

Feeling a hand grip on my shoulder, I turn around to meet Christian's eye. My smile broadens, as I pat his shoulder before bringing him into a short hug. 

"Hey, are you waiting for the girls?" he asks me, while I nod in response. "Same." he yells over the music, which has just been cranked up. I look down at his costume, laughing slightly.

"Nice costume."

He groans, hanging his head before looking back at me.

"I can't believe I got bread."

One of the freshman on our team decided we should all go as pantry staples for Halloween. Sounded good to start with, an actual original idea. Christian even thought it sounded good, until he pulled 'bread' out of the hat. Now he's dressed like a loaf of bread. 

"Hey, I got sugar." I reply, motioning to my own attire of an old blue bedsheet that I'd destroyed to fashion a bag of sugar, a large 'S' printed over my chest. Christian throws his head back laughing as he leans on my shoulder. But his attention soon turns to the door leading to the living room we're standing in.

"Holy shit." he mutters under his breath. I follow his gaze, my own breath caught in my throat as I see who's just walked in.

The girls walk hand-in-hand into the party, smiling widely. They're dressed in matching short slip dresses and fairy wings, with each girl as a different color, Natalie's obviously being a lilac purple. My eyes are trained on Natalie as the girls approach Christian and I. I realize she's not wearing her glasses, something I've never seen before. I see her smile as she nears me, although I'm not sure if it's because she's happy to see me or because of my ridiculous costume. Maybe both.

"What the fuck are you two wearing." I hear Melanie yell from across the room, her eyebrows raised.

"We're pantry staples, the whole team is. Case here is the sugar to my bread." Christian yells back, smirking as Lera approaches him. She drops her hands from the group, walking straight into Christian's arms. I look away, only to see my own girl walking straight towards me.

I open my arms, and she falls into them, nestling her head on the hopefully comfortable bedsheet. She manoeuvres her body until she's tucked into my side, both her hands balanced on my shoulder. I don't even try to hide that I'm looking at her body, as my eyes fly up and down her. It should be illegal for her to look this beautiful.

"Hi." she says, her voice soft as I feel her eyes wandering over my face.

"Hey. You look pretty." I reply, feeling like a little kid with a kindergarten crush. She giggles quietly, before leaning forward slightly to plant a kiss on the side of my neck. "And hot." I lean down, whispering into her ear.

"Thankyou. You don't look too bad yourself." she replies, and I can't help but scoff. I glance down at my outfit, raising an eyebrow as I look back at her.

"I can't believe I was told to dress-up as a bag of sugar." I say, shaking my head as my arm snakes down down her waist, rubbing small circles across her hip bone. I hear her take a short, sharp breath, before she squints up at me. She stands on her tip toes, moving her head close to mine until I feel her warm breath against my ear.