Part 34

Natalie

I heave his suitcase into the back of his car as I hear him hobble out behind me. His crutches make a click-clack sound against the cold pavement, the steadiness of his winter boots following. I push the back door of his car closed, turning back around to face him. He places one of his crutches against the car door before reaching towards me, his arm circling around my waist. I place my head against his chest, holding his warm body close against mine. 

"Thankyou, for everything." he whispers into my ear, a chain of goose bumps to rise up my arms. 

"You're most welcome." I mutter into his chest, just as I hear a door bang loudly from somewhere in front of us. I lift my head, my eyes locking with Mandy.

"Sorry, it's a bit windy today, isn't it?" she says, tugging Barney's dusty red leash down the steps and towards the car. Mandy takes me in her arms as she reaches me, rubbing large circles across my back. Casey's arm doesn't leave my waist as he side-steps us, reaching his other arm down to rub the softness of Barney's ears. I laugh, turning towards the pair as Mandy's arm stays slung around my neck casually. 

"I'm going to miss having you kids around, it gets a bit lonely sometimes, so far away from you both." Mandy continues, a tight smile on her lips as she looks between Casey and I. I smile at her, before looking over at Casey, slight concern crossing his face. 

"We'll try and come down here most weekends." I start, reaching down to pat a stubborn Barney, who's decided the best place to sit is on my feet, in the middle of the pavement.

"Yeah, without hockey, I don't really have to do much on the weekends." Casey adds, his crutch-less hand gripping onto the side of my sweater. We both watch as Mandy simply nods, a smile-turned-frown tugging at her lips. 

"Would I be stomping on your thunder too much if I decided to move back to Boston?" she says suddenly, the air stilling with shock.

"Do you not like it here?" Casey asks, knotting his eyebrows in confusion. 

"I moved for your father's work, not for me. Not that he's ever around anyway. Always too busy to go to this, too busy to see his son in hospital. I'm sick and tired of his attitude to anything not directly affecting him, so there's nothing really keeping me here."

"Are you getting divorced?" Casey urges, his voice low.

"... I've been thinking about it. But, I didn't want to do anything until I talked to you. If you don't want us to be separated, I'll stay here. I don't want to do anything that will upset you-"

"Mom, he means nothing to me. He hasn't meant anything to me for years, when he started caring more about work than anything concerning you or myself." Casey cuts her off, his words no longer light, rather rich and strong. I can tell he's been dying to get all of this off of his chest. Mandy doesn't look surprised at his response as she nods, her lips pursed into a tight, straight line. 

"Well, in that case, I'll... I'll talk to a lawyer." I nod sympathetically as Casey steps closer towards his mom, taking her in his strong arms.

"We're here if you need." I say, placing my hand on her shoulder. Mandy steps away from Casey, quickly wiping at her eyes.

"Alright, now go before I turn into a blubbering mess."

Both Casey and I take turns hugging Mandy and Barney, the goodbye suddenly seeming too real. For the past month, I've spent every spare moment here, wrapped in the company of these people I'd now consider family. I've found the best bakeries in Manhattan, the libraries, the gardens. But over everything, I've found my family. Not by blood, but by something far stronger and overpoweringly exhilarating.