*Part 25

Casey

"Will I need to wear warm stuff or not so warm stuff?"

Her voice echos through the phone as I sip on my cup of coffee. It's been a few days since the shit show that was Natalie meeting my dad, but I think it's safe to say we've both moved past it. Knowing Natalie isn't planning on running now that's she's met my dad has eased my mine, given that I would probably run if I'd been disrespected like that. The fact he couldn't even be bothered to remember her name after all I'd spoken about her in the past few months just proves how little he cares. I'm just glad that my moms been there to welcome Natalie with open arms and a kind smile.

"Uh, probably warmer stuff." I reply to Natalie's question, thumbing through my own drawer to grab a thick woolen sweater.

"Okay. Why don't you just tell me where we're going, wouldn't that just be easier?" she asks as I take the final sip of my coffee. I dump the mug in the sink, grabbing my keys and knitted hat off of the bench.

"Well, wouldn't that ruin the whole point of a surprise?" I reply, pushing open my door and locking it behind me.

I'm so thankful for everything Natalie's done in the past week, so I thought she deserved something in return. And, because we're always sort of... together, we haven't ever been on a real date together. So, I decided to take her ice skating, but she doesn't need to know that... yet. Because if she did know, she'd probably refuse to go.

"Ugh, but... I just want to know." She whines as I burst out of my building complex.

"Well, I'm getting in my car now, the place is only a like 10 minute drive from campus so you'll find out soon."

I hear her grumble from her end, making me smile lightly.

She doesn't even know what's coming.

...

"Are we there yet?" she whines from beside me, tugging on my right arm jokingly.

"Nearly." My heart nearly stops when I look across at her. She's dressed in a pair of blue jeans and a grey sweater, boots on her feet. But what catches my eye is the knitted garments surrounding her head. Her adorable face pokes out from underneath her lavender beanie, its matching scarf wrapped around her neck. I nearly died when I saw her wearing it when she opened her door, thoughts of the day I gave it to her racing through my mind.

I think back to those days only mere months ago, when I looked at her and the whole world stopped. Those moments still happen now, but emotionally, they feel slightly different. Before, I felt so lucky to have simply run into her, to have known her again. Now, I feel so lucky to be loved by her, and more importantly, have the opportunity to love her again.

"Green light. Stop staring." she says, keeping her hands wrapped around my arm as her cheeks flush red.

"I can't help it. My girlfriend is beautiful." I retort, tearing my eyes from her to focus on the road once again. I hear her scoff from beside me just as we pull into a parking lot. She sits up taller, craning her neck to see where we are. I pull into a parking space as she gasps from beside me. I cut the engine, looking over at her as I grab my own beanie from the backseat.

"I can't skate." she says, attempting to pout.

"I'll help you." I reply, tugging my hat onto my head.

"You're not allowed to do sport yet."

"This isn't sport. I'm just teaching you to skate, no pucks involved."

She groans as I take her hands in mine, looking into her eyes.

"I'll hold your hand the whole time. When you get tired of it, we'll go and grab food and have a movie night." I plead as she throws me a defeated look.