Part 31

Natalie

Rain falls against the windows as I toss and turn in my bed.  Well, technically, Casey's bed. Mandy and I went home after we sat by his bedside for a while, both of us understanding there was no point staying overnight if he wasn't going to wake for another day at least. Mandy said I could stay in his room for as long as I needed, although it doesn't feel right without him. It doesn't feel right without him arms wrapped around me. The silence doesn't feel right, I'm missing the sounds of his breathing against my ear or the soft nothing he whispers throughout the night. I'm missing every part of him, my heart aching. The house is oddly quiet too. I don't know if it's always been this way, but everything seems too... silent. Casey's dads out of town, meaning Mandy is the only other person in this entire house, and even so, she's far down the hall. 

I sigh, sitting up in bed and turning to the window. Raindrops race to the bottom through the moonlight, a soft crackle of thunder pairing with the pitter-patter of rain. I run a hand through my hair, an idea sparking in my mind. I pull the mass of blankets off my legs, hopping off the soft bed and shuffling towards my bags, lain next to Casey's in the corner of the room. The sight of his lonely bag almost makes me crack, but I power forward, rifling through my bag until I find what I need. I walk back to his bed, nestling back into the warm blankets as I open the screen of my laptop. I open my ongoing document, staring at the screen, thinking. I breathe in heavily, catching a weak whiff of his usual scent. My fingers float over the keys as I launch into the one activity I can do when my brain is lost in thought, unable to get out how I'm feeling. 

Excerpt from Natalie's book;

Wind may lash against the solid windows as I think of him. 

Rain may shower the trees below it as I think of him.

Infinite time may pass, endless opportunities will come and go. 

But all along, all I think of is him. My mind is stuck on the memories of him, the times we had, the experiences we shared. 

That must be the thing with love, particularly ours. Even when we are apart, whether by choice or by changing circumstances, we can only think about each other. Everything else is simply a distraction, a way to pass the time until we can be back together. 

Even as he lays there, motionless and alone, I think we both know he'll never really be alone. Because I'll always be there, right beside him, waiting and wondering. 

I know not to cry, as without his thumb there to wipe away the tears, he wouldn't want me to. Instead, he'd tell me not to cry, that he'd be here soon enough, and that everything would be solved. 

And I guess, for now, I'll have to believe him. Trust that everything will be okay, even if there's always the niggling 'what if' in the back of my mind. Because, without the small belief that I'd find him again, we wouldn't be here. Fate may have worked differently, sending us in different directions far apart from each other. 

It'll be me and him, him and I, forever and always, until well past our expiration dates. It simply has to be. 

A/n:

A/n:

Hello everyone!

A realllly short chapter today, I don't know if you liked the the segment from Natalie's story, what'd you think?

Thanks for reading 

Love em xx