Dreams and Distractions

It was dark and Millicent could feel the thick slushing water at her feet the air smelling of rot

It was dark and Millicent could feel the thick slushing water at her feet the air smelling of rot. The world was pitch black and the air thick. "where is this place and how in the ruddy hell did I get here?" Millicent murmured. The very last memory she could recall was of sitting in the astronomy tower taking notes of the sky.

"If this is another prank by you two ginger beanstalks I will sick my Daddy on you for this!" Millicent shouted into the darkness. She turned carefully about in circles waiting for a reply but all she could hear was the water sloshing around at her feet.

It was unusually cold, Millicent flexed her hands as if to warm them. The chill nipped at her fingertips and the bulb of her nose. "You'd had better answer me or i-" 

A glimpse of brilliant light in the distance hushed Millicents raging. Its light illuminated forward like a shadow, showing the blackened water as it rippled gently on the ground. "A Patronus?" Millicent thought to herself, watching silently it was too far away to recognize its shape.

through the blackness stepped forth another glowing figure, it stood at the first side. Millicent took a step back and from behind her, she could feel hands resting on her shoulders. Millicent jumped and went to brush them off, but nothing was there even though the feeling remained. "Millie" called a whisper it was soft and her ear strained to hear it.

"This isn't bloody funny!" Millicent called whirling around, as she went to reach for her wand she gasped.

It was gone.

The ground beneath her quaked and the water splashed upwards here and there. Millicent's heart felt as if it would fly out of her chest as she focused on the gangly hands popping out of the water, revealed by the light.

Fear rising Milicent backed away, gusts of wind above her circling, "stop!" Millicent cried, kneeling down she covered her head with her arms. "I said it's not funny!" she called.

"no, I am afraid....it is not. I can fix your fear...if you listen."

Millicent peered about, it was that same rasping voice she had heard from the key. 

With remarkable speed one of the Patronus lunged forwards, with the sound of a loud puff of air it collided with a whirling shadow, and shortly after the second Patronus followed its lead. Millicent fell over into the lukewarm water and was an unsettling difference from the coldness of the air around her. However, her eyes were stuck on the two glowing blue figures whirling this way and that dissipating the shadowy masses.

Millicent's mouth tumbled open in awe as she watched, she could feel anger emitting from the Patronus, and as far as Millicent had been aware emotion from them was not possible...or was it?

Hands reached out, taking Millicent's arms, clawing with boney fingers as if to pull her into the ground. "ew...ew, ew ,ew! get off!" Millicent shouted trying her best to pull them away. "off!" she screamed again.