Batty Earworm

Dusk had fallen and the sky was hued in rich shades of color unique to when the sun made its grand exit and night gently closed the curtains

Dusk had fallen and the sky was hued in rich shades of color unique to when the sun made its grand exit and night gently closed the curtains. Millicent waited on the stone surround of the fountain, her eyes fixed to the sky watching the stars as they faded into view, humming quietly to herself. She kicked her kicked with the melody and lazily swirled the tip on her wand in the fountain water drawing shapes.

Harry trudged to the courtyard, he had been dreading this study session with everything he had. Especially with how the morning started out, clearly, Millicent was on one. Looking up Harry noticed he'd reached the courtyard faster than he would have liked to. Not a soul was about as most students were tucked away in the Common Rooms or the Great Hall catching the tail end of dinner.

A faint sound ticked at Harry's ears, looking up he spotted Millicent waiting on the fountain. Harry took off his glasses and wiped them clean, but as he placed them back on his face the scene did not change. "Millicents being pleasant?" He thought to himself. She kicked her feet like a content child and swished her wand in the water with her eyes fixed to the sky.

Harry couldn't place the song she was humming, he could only just hear the faint sound at this distance.

Lingering in the archways Harry felt silly, but it felt criminal to walk out there now. He'd wager this moment was as rare as a squib. No one would believe him if he'd told them. "I wonder what's so hard about her being like that all the time." Harry pondered.

The sky started to darken, He could no longer wait if they needed to get any work done. Quietly Harry made his way towards Millicent, maybe if he was really careful he wouldn't break her peacefulness and approached her like one would a feral cat.

"are you ready to start studying Centaurus?" Harry asked cautiously, immediately expecting to be hissed at. However, he didn't get a response at all as Millicent's eyes were still fixed on the sky. Harry coughed loudly. "About time Potter," Millicent said shaking herself from her daze.

A Lazy gaze fell on Harry as Millicent watched him, "Did you bring your telescope, Ink and Quill?" she asked. "um, I think I've got everything." Harry said. "Good because I'm not going to be the only one drawing things," she said turning her eyes back to the sky. Millicent pointed with her wand, "there, I'm pinpoint Centaurus' placement in the sky tonight. It'll be hard to see with the naked eye but with a telescope, it's in a good position for us to draw out its general shape and the shape of its galaxy." she said.

"Alright, it should be dark soon enough,  its hard to see much past the castle though," Harry said. "I thought of that too, I'll be acquiring permission letters from Professor Snape to venture out onto the grounds next time to get a more complete view of the sky. I think somewhere around Hagrids hut should be approved as safe enough. I don't particularly like the wooly mammoth of a man but he can serve a purpose." Millicent said.

Harry gave her a warning glance and Millicent sighed, "riiight, right he's a friend of yours too. they say no man is an island, but you seem to be the island of misfit toys." Millicent shot, but her words had far less bite to them. It was quite odd for Harry. It seemed that she was putting effort into being snide as the air around her was calm.