welcome back to reality

☼  ☼  ☼

☼  ☼  ☼

Several hours later, Andi was fast asleep on Peter's shoulder. She'd been asleep since they finished their conversation, and Peter didn't have the heart to wake her. He knew how tired she was, so he decided to let her rest. Part of him was glad she was asleep, however. He didn't exactly want her to see what he was doing on his phone. Peter had been searching for the most romantic things to do while in Prague. He knew Andi wasn't quite ready to jump back into their relationship, but he still wanted to make the best of their situation and at least attempt to rekindle the flame he feared burnt out long ago. He wanted to take her out on a moonlit walk and witness her carefree spirit, as well as the bright smile he loved so much. He wanted to take her to Prague's finest restaurant and watch her eat her weight in her favorite foods as he knew she loved to do. He wanted to find a way to take her mind off of the chaotic mess their vacation had become. He wanted to find a way to remind her of what it used to be like when it was just the two of them against the world.

As he continued scrolling, his attention was shifted to the eyes he now knew to be on him. Gwen had turned around, and he could see in her eyes that she was desperate for someone to talk to. He hadn't really taken the time to notice she was sitting alone. He figured she'd be sitting with MJ, but that wasn't the case at all.

"Bored?" Peter asked, his brow raised.

Gwen nodded her head. "We've been on this bus for almost six hours and I've listened to my playlist twice through already. There isn't a movie I wanna watch that I haven't already seen a hundred times, and Brad Davis has stolen the company of the one person I care to talk to."

"Ouch."

"It's not that I don't care to talk to you, Peter, but I'm sure you can understand where I'm coming from given the sleeping blonde on your shoulder," Gwen remarked with a quiet laugh. "You two look a lot cozier with each other. Did something happen while I was otherwise occupied with my music?"

"Just a brief conversation is all," Peter told her. He would not be revealing the details of his  conversation with Andi. Doing so meant revealing the source of her vulnerability, and Peter could not find it in himself to cross that boundary. If anything, he wanted to respect that boundary.

"Are you guys okay?" Gwen asked with hopeful brown eyes. "Like, are you two gonna get back together?"

Peter shrugged his shoulders and glanced down at Andi, who was still sound asleep. "I mean, I really hope so, but I don't want to rush her into anything. There's still so much going on with her, so much that she needs to work through."

"Well, hopefully you two can work on it together," Gwen said. "Can you tell me something, Peter?"

"What's that?"