can we get this over with?

☼  ☼  ☼

☼ ☼ ☼

"The opera? Seriously?"

Andi rolled her eyes at Gwen and finished zipping up the olive green dress she'd chosen to wear for the night. Or at least until Fury decided he finally needed the three of them. Andi thought her friend looked absolutely beautiful in the dress, but she'd chosen something a bit more practical for herself. Mr. Harrington had, of course, insisted the students dress nicely for the night, but Andi refused to put on a dress. She wore a lacy, white long-sleeve top with a pair of skinny black pants and her favorite pair of black combat boots. To finish off the look, she grabbed her leather jacket and put it on. She turned back to Gwen, who was now looking at her with annoyed brown eyes and her arms crossed over her chest.

"Look, I wasn't the one that thought of it," Andi told Gwen quietly. MJ was in the bathroom getting ready, so they couldn't speak too loudly. "And why are you so upset about it? It's not like you'll be there anyway."

"I was super excited about the carnival, Andi," Gwen said with a frown on her face. "I was going to take MJ on the ferris wheel and maybe finally tell her how I feel."

"Can't exactly do that if she's dead, can you?"

"Andi!" Gwen exclaimed. Her tone was chastising, but she was used to Andi's rather dry and inappropriate responses otherwise. Still, it didn't make her feel better.

"Beck or Mysterio or whatever the hell his name is told us to keep everyone inside for a few hours while we take care of this fire monster, okay?" Andi whispered. "What else were we supposed to do, Gwen? Let everyone enjoy the carnival at the risk of burning to death? No!"

Gwen groaned and fell back onto her bed. "Would it have killed EDITH to send us to a movie? Operas are so boring."

"Then I guess it's a good thing you won't be there anyway," Andi reminded her once more.

The bathroom door opening grabbed the girls' attention, and they looked to see MJ making her way out. Gwen automatically smiled at the sight of her, and when Andi noticed it, she smiled as well. The two were so cute and awkward. Andi absolutely loved it.

"H-how do I look?" MJ asked her friends. She wore a beautiful floral dress and her combat boots. Half of her curly brown hair was pulled back into a ponytail, and the other half flowed over her shoulder. She wore no makeup as usual, yet her face was still perfectly flawless.

"You look so cute!"

"You look absolutely beautiful!"

"Thanks, guys," MJ said with a smile. She grabbed her jean jacket from her luggage and put it on, more than ready to go and get the night over with. Like the rest of her classmates, the last thing she wanted to do was sit at the opera for the next four hours. Ned, however, had convinced her it could be a culturally enlightening experience. She wanted to give it a chance, and she was happy she was able to do that with her closest friends. It seemed they grew further and further away from her the longer they were in Europe. Ned was busy with Betty, while Andi, Peter, and Gwen continued to disappear randomly. It made her feel alone again, but she hoped tonight would be different.