EMANCIPATION

My brother stood leaning as disappointed as he could be

My brother stood leaning as disappointed as he could be. "It's not there. Just..just pull the drone up." He sighed.

"Look, we can do another pass. Recharge the battery. We can, we can go back down." Pope tried to help the situation.

"We've done it three times. There's nothing there." JJ shouted pissed off.

"Somebody beat us to it." John B stated. I knew he was upset.

John B and I arrived back home at our dock. I sighed knowing he was gonna be in a pissy fit for the rest of the day.

"Look we tried our best okay? We can't give up though. I know we'll fi- what the hell?" I stopped in my tracks.

"Hey buddy!" Cheryl smiled as we walked in the front door.

"You know Cheryl, it's kind of a bad time for a check in." My brother sat on the couch.

"Not a check in. We're here to take you two." She smiled at us.

"Uhhh like hell you are." I raised my eyebrows.

"It's just for a few weeks until your hearing." She tried arguing.

"No,no,no. Cheryl, look, we're not going into foster care, okay? I'm not gonna be apart of your little system." He argued back.

"John B, Jo, this is deputy Thomas. He works with juveniles for the sheriff's department." As she spoke we both turned around to look at the deputy.

"Oh shit- I mean oh crap." I corrected my language.

"Look, I know uncle T is in Mississippi working at a casino. He hasn't been here in months." Cheryl stood up off the couch.

My brother tried to make a run for it but the deputy already knew what he was trying to do.

"Look I want emancipation." He stuttered over his words.

"Emancipation from who? There's nobody here but you." She defended.

Eventually we caved and had to pack bags. I shoved as many clothes in my backpack and pictures as I could since I was unsure of when I'd be back. Once I was done I walked into my brothers room.

"Ah look at you, already packed your bag."  Cheryl smiled at me. I gave her a fake smile and flipped her off.

"See this cherly? Do you know who this is? Yeah, it's my dad. And do you know what he wanted? He wanted us to stay here,at home, and you're taking us away from home. Do you understand that?" John B's voice croaked.