Y3 ~ prophecy

"It will happen tonight."

Angels - Chase AtlanticWordcount: 5725

Wordcount: 5725

☽♛☾

Hermione joined them at the foot of the ladder to Trelawney's classroom twenty minutes later, looking very harassed.

"I can't believe I missed Cheering Charms..." She spoke. "Professor Flitwick hinted it might come up on the exam!"

Y/n pat Hermione's back as in a way of saying; 'It doesn't matter, you'll do amazing either way.'

Together, the quartet climbed the ladder into the dim, stifling tower room. Glowing on every table was a round crystal ball filled with pearly white mist. The quartet sat down together at one rickety table.

"I thought we weren't starting crystal gazing until next term." Ron muttered, casting a wary eye around for Professor Trelawney in case she was lurking around.

"Don't complain," Harry said. "That means we've finished palmistry. I was getting sick of her flinching every time she looked at my hands."

Y/n covered a snort, in all honesty, she hadn't been a fan of palmistry either.

Drawing the class attention, Trelawney made her usual dramatic entrance out the shadows. "Good day on you!" She said in her misty voice. Parvati and Lavender quivered with excitement, their faces lit by the milky glow of their crystal ball.

"I have decided to introduce you to the crystal ball a little earlier than planned." Trelawney said, taking a seat in her odd armchair.

"The fates have informed me that your examination in June will concern the Orb, and I am anxious to give you sufficient practice."

Hermione scoffed.

"Well, honestly... 'the fates have informed her' ...who sets the exam? She does! What an amazing prediction!" She said, troubling to keep her voice down.

Y/n bit her lip to suppress a laugh, she really liked this more sassy side of her friend.

Trelawney kept telling the class about how crystal gazing was very advanced and that she did not expect anyone to see anything today. She also talked about clearing the inner eye (making Ron snigger so uncontrollably that he had to put his fist in his mouth to stifle the noise) and how important it was to relax the conscious mind and external eyes.

Y/n did everything not to fall asleep during Trelawney's long, boring introduction to crystal gazing.

And then, they began. It all felt extremely foolish-- at least to Y/n-- staring into a blank crystal ball while trying to keep her mind clear.

Harry silently drummed his fingers against the wooden table, it was all such a waste of time and it didn't help that Y/n and Ron kept breaking into silent giggles as Hermione kept tutting.