|♢| Chapter 27 |♢| Did You Miss Me

A/N: All previous chapters have been edited specially to fit a first-person perspective that better immerses the audience into the story. Past chapters have also been edited overall, sprucing up the detail in places I was unhappy with, but whether you reread them is up to you since nothing has been edited in a way that chances the story until this point ~Maple

 Past chapters have also been edited overall, sprucing up the detail in places I was unhappy with, but whether you reread them is up to you since nothing has been edited in a way that chances the story until this point ~Maple

"Well, if it isn't the Great Sherlock Holmes. Funny getting to talk to you again, isn't it? What's it been? Almost a month? Just under one?"

Sherlock's grip on the phone tightens, his blood running cold by that teasing tone in Apollo's voice. John's practically hanging off his shoulder, the optimistic side of him hoping- no, praying- that despite his friend's stiffen appearance, he'll put both of their worries to rest by saying you're on the other end, assuring them you've somehow escaped your ex and are okay. Alas, life's never that easy.

"Where is she?" Sherlock isn't sure if he whispers or shouts the question which is ripped from his mouth before he can truly assess the situation. He doesn't have time for that. He needs to know...is he already too late?

"Wow, no manners at all, and here I was thinking the whole appeal with British men is them being gentlemen-"

"-Answer the question-"

"-Or you'll what exactly? Threaten me while enjoying a cup of tea at your flat? In that case, say whatever you want, Holmes. Don't let me step on your moment. It's not like I really care anyways. All I'd have to do is just hang up once I've heard enough of it...Oh, but I'm sure (Y/n) would be pretty disappointed then. She's been dying to hear you voice."

Sherlock presses his lips in a tight line, all his hostile thoughts towards Apollo being replaced by worry for you. He wonders if you're in the room, listening from afar. If he yells loud enough, would you hear him even through the phone?

"...Why did you call me?"

He can practically see Apollo's smirk on the other end," I just want to talk, that's all. We've known about each other for what...? Seven years? And yet within that time we've never been able to have a civil conversation with each other, in fact, if I recall correctly, the first time we met face-to-face, you broke my nose. It's always been surprising how hostile you are towards me. Sure, you don't seem like much of a people person, but I figured I'd at least be just another face in the crowd for you. It's because of (Y/n), isn't it? Why do you care so much about her?"

"...She's (Y/n). What more reason is there?" Sherlock's eyes dart to John who's quietly sneaking into the kitchen now, his own phone in hand. The detective concludes he's calling Lestrade.

"I guess that's something we can agree on then. (Y/n) is extra special, but that's not what I meant. I want to know why you still care for her when all she does is use you? Haven't you realized it yet, Holmes? It's clear she only goes to you second. She left you in London then suddenly landed back in your arms once she needed you to prove her innocence at the trial. She only returned and agreed to date you because she thinks I'm going to hurt her. Notice the trend? She's never gone to you outside of a time of need. Doesn't that drive you mad to know she only pretends to love you so that she may gain something in return?"