|♢| Chapter 9 |♢| Dinner Between Friends

(f/o/c)- food of choice {one of the choices in chapter}  

The restaurant gives a soft hum to one's ear through the quiet clinking of tableware and hushed voices of diners talking amongst themselves over plates of high-end food and glasses filled to the brim with upscale wines. The room itself is dimly lit by the gentle flames of the candles placed perfectly in the center of each table which themselves are blanketed with clean white cloths and decorated with pairs of wine glasses, napkins folded in the shape of waterlilies, and spotless brushed gold silverware. Outlining the backside of the dining room are crystal clear windows in which showcase the gorgeous pond outside, one that glows in both the light of the moon and the various fairy lights that hang above.

Needless to say, you're astonished when taking in your new surroundings while Sherlock talks to the hostess. You know he said you'd be going to a five-star restaurant, but you didn't imagine it would be this...fancy. Perhaps it wouldn't be all that surprising to you if not for the fact that Sherlock's the one who chose the location himself. Judging on the way he usually talks, you've always imagined him to be someone who actively avoids places like your current whereabouts, not suggests them. It seems...out of character for him, to say the least.

If you're being honest, your nerves about standing in such an expensive restaurant feel no better once you begin examining the other guests. Every table in sight is occupied by single pairs, no more no less. They all seem to be talking lively with each other with dazed eyes and adoring smiles, one's that you wouldn't see between 'just friends', but maybe you shouldn't be surprised. Most normal people wouldn't take their friends to such a lavish place. The only reason you're here is because your friend is anything but normal...that's the only reason, right?

"Shall we go?" Sherlock's voice pulls you away from your wandering thoughts, allowing you to finally notice the way he's holding his arm out towards you, hinting that you should wrap your own arm around it while the hostess escorts the two of you to your seats. Shyly, you give a nod and do just that.

Following the hostess's lead, you sit at a table near the windows overlooking the pond outside. Once seated, the woman hands you both menus, informing you that the waiter will be with you shortly before taking her own leave.

From there, you fidget in your seat quite a bit, keeping your head lowered as you scan the menu's options without truly obtaining any of them. You can feel Sherlock's eyes burning into you the whole time as if waiting for you to say something first which begins to make you feel guilty on top of your growing nerves. You're not sure where your sudden anxiety's come from, after all, you were fine on the cab ride here. Sure, you've never been the best at one-on-one dinners with others, not to mention with men, but you're not with just any man, you're with Sherlock...it's just Sherlock.

Cursing yourself for being so awkward around your friend, you decide to finally break the silence, although, you still find yourself fighting back the heat in your cheeks," so...how do you know the manager here? A case, I assume?"

"His younger brother was up on trial for armed robbery and attempted murder several years back. I merely lowered the possibility of a life sentence by proving he was only the getaway driver, thus he had nothing to do with the attempted murder part. Fifteen years is better than forever, isn't it?" He shrugs casually at his own explanation," he welcomed me here anytime, but I'm not one to go to restaurants alone and John refuses to go anywhere 'fancy' with me. He claims I'll only make a fool of myself and embarrass him."

"Well, he's missing out," you chuckle quietly, although, you can understand John's concern. He seems far less patient with Sherlock compared to yourself. During a short pause, a wine steward passes by, pouring some red colored wine into your glasses before disappearing once again,"...I have to say, I think this is the fanciest place I've ever been. A long jump from all those burger restaurants back home."