|♢| Chapter 21 |♢| How Do You Plead

One. Two. One. Two.

You make sure to keep track of every time you inhale then exhale, taking deep breath after deep breath, yet despite your best efforts, your heart continues to hammer against your chest. You feel sick; sick enough to throw up at any given moment which you pray you don't.

Your mother and sister sit at each side, the former rubbing your back in comfort while the latter holds the hand in which grips the fabric of your pants so tightly that your knuckles are staring to turn white.

"Everything is going to be okay, sis. I know it will be," she's doing her best to calm you, they both are, but at the end of the day, everyone knows no amount of softly spoken words will help cure your nerves. Sometimes, they just say the things they do to help themselves relax since everyone's on edge for what will become of the day.

You look up with another exhale, your eyes following Sherlock as he paces across the hall like an anxious predator stuck inside a cage. His arms are crossed behind his back and his nose scrunched up in thought. He'd spin on his heel to walk in the other direction, never slowing his stride for so much as a second. Your mother had tried requesting that he sit down, however, he gave no sign of even hearing her. You're sure he didn't. As you've explained, not that the family understands, he's in his Mind Palace meaning he isn't exactly 'there to talk to'.

You wonder what's currently going on inside his Mind Palace. You're willing to bet that he's thinking of Apollo, and nothing pleasant about him either. Anyone could tell he desperately wants inside that courtroom, however, there'd be a risk in allowing him. Despite his wonderful observation skills, Sherlock's never been the best at reading a room and keeping himself from saying the wrong thing nor would he do anything legal if able to stand within mere feet of the handcuffed man inside so, to prevent any unwanted trouble, he's been forced to wait outside like everyone else.

At long last, the doors open. One by one, occupants of the room file out, gaining everyone in the hall's attention. Your father's the first to come over to the group and, by that hallowed look on his face alone, you can already tell what he's going to say.

Like water through a broken dam, tears suddenly flood your eyes with a shattered sob escaping from your lips. You collapse into your mother's arms, her and your sister immediately hugging you as tightly as they can, unable to conceal their own tears.

The sound snaps Sherlock out of his Mind Palace in no time, leading his eyes to lock onto you. Before he can make any movement your way, your father places a hand on the inspiring detective's shoulder, turning him so that their backs may face the rest of the family.

After a trembling breath, he shakes his head sadly," that son of a bitch is taking it to trial."

Sherlock says nothing. It isn't clear to the eye, but he's fuming on the inside. He already knew from the start that Apollo's the stubborn and heartless type to make everyone suffer through a trial, however, there had still been a small part of himself that hoped to be wrong for once...for your sake.

You try to get a hold of yourself, aware that the throbbing in your head will only grow worse the more worked up you get. Besides, this isn't the time nor place to break down...not in front of all these people anyways.

You feel your hand be taken by one much larger than either your mother or sister's which draws you to blink open your teary eyes and look up to Sherlock who's staring down at you. The rest of the family soon takes notice of him as well, your sister moving over enough to let him take her place by your side which he quickly does.

Rather awkwardly, he gives your hand a squeeze, glancing at you for a split second before directing his eyes away," I'm...sorry."

You sniff, your lip quivering at his words. They don't seem like much especially compared to the speeches your family's been throwing at you all day, but coming from Sherlock, they're everything.