2

As the sun began to set Remus layed down in the dry grass, and took in each and every detail of the sky. He watched as the setting sun illuminated the clouds with shades of pink making them look like the cotton candy his mother would buy him each summer at the Solstice fair. His eyes were full of bewonderment, lit up by the sheer beauty of the world around him.

He often took this time of day to himself to think and clear his mind. Whatever troubled him during the day would be brought a sense of clarity, giving him a new understanding of the world around him; something he often needed, particularly right now.

He was torn, on one hand, he knew he would have to tell the Marauders about Regulus soon. The two of them had grown incredibly close over the past few weeks, hardly ever going more than a few hours without seeing eachother.

"You know, I saw you trying to sneak away from Care of Magical Creatures earlier." Remus called out, seemingly to no one.

"How did you know I was here?" Regulus snickered, "I haven't made a sound!"

The older boy sat up from the hill and turned to face Regulus, a goofy smile on his face.

"And what were you doing out in the forest? I happen to know that you have Defense Against the Dark Arts in third period." Regulus asked with a confident tone, as if to say he had won the argument.

"Touché." Remus finally answered.

Regulus joined the boy on the hill, the dying and crunchy grass sticking to his clothes.

"Merlin! How can you sit on this! I feel as though I've been stabbed!"

"Oh your Majesty! I apologize! Must I lay down my sweater for you to sit on? We wouldn't want-"

"Okay, okay! I get it!" Regulus called out, a large grin on his face.

After a moment of silence, Regulus took a letter out of his robe pocket. The smile had faded and been replaced with a frown and a creased forehead.

"They're getting impatient. They want it done by Christmas."

'Christmas?' Remus thought, why, that was only 8 weeks away. Far too soon, if you asked him.

"I have to do it, Remus. And these meetings have to stop." Regulus's voice quivered.

"What? Regulus, no. You can't. You're just a kid. You're no murderer."

"But what if I am?" Regulus paused, thinking of what to say next. His eyes were full of fear."I'm not like Sirius. I won't leave. My parents may be loyal to the Dark Lord but they are still my parents."

Remus grabbed the dark haired boys hand.

"You could come stay with James! Sirius is there too, please Regulus." Remus frantically spoke, "You're not the bad guy!"

Regulus pulled his hand away, wrapping his arms around his knees as he pulled them into his chest.

"It's... all part of the journey in the end. Isn't it? but it just so happens, that our journey ends here."

"Don't shut me out Regulus. I have spent everyday of the last month with you. This is not you." Remus raised his voice.

"I shut everyone out Lupin. Don't take it personally, you aren't special." Regulus replied, his tone spiteful and full of frustration.

Regulus stood up and brushed the grass off of him. His eyes were glassy, as if he was about to cry.

"I'll see you around." Regulus called out coldly as he walked back to the castle.

---

Remus sat on the hill, now alone. He wasn't sure for how long, but the sun had long set. He couldn't bring himself to walk back to the common room. Tears stung his eyes. He couldn't face Sirius. He had done this for him. How is he supposed to look him in the eye and tell him everything is alright when his little brother is about to become a killer.

"Moony? What are you doing up here?

"I screwed up, Prongs. I screwed up so bad." Remus's voice shook with anger and sadness. Whether the anger at himself, at Regulus, or  the world he wasn't sure.

James rushed to Moony's side, wrapping his arm over the others shoulder.

"Hey, it'll be okay, don't worry." James soothed as Remus sobbed harder and harder.

"I tried to help him."

"Regulus? Is that why you have been spending so much time with him?" James asked.  Remus nodded slightly.

James had been worried for Remus. He had been lying to them so much over the past month. James was worried he had finally had enough of their antics when in reality, Moony was just looking after the people he loves.

Remus began to sputter out words through the tears, trying to explain his actions over the last month.

"Oh Godric I'm so sorry James. I've been ignoring you all. I tried to do this for Sirius. I know how much he has missed his brother and when I found out Reg had the mark I just wanted to help-"

"He has the mark?"