10

"James Fuck-wad Potter, you get your arse out from that dorm or so help me Merlin, I will bombarda this fucking door down. 5... 4... 3... 2..."

The wooden door swung open. James came face to face with none other than Sirius Black. Sirius's nostrils flared, his eyes full of anger and distrust but soon turning to hurt and welling with tears.

"You, are my family James, YOU. Not my mother, not my father, not Regulus. You. And you betray me like that? You know how they treated me. You know what he did."

"Pads, I-"

"No, I thought Regulus and I could fix things but now he's gone and taken you away from me too." Sirius stepped closer to James as if to intimidate him, his posture changing to a more aggressive stance, then, in a voice of tranquil anger he uttered, "you, are not my brother."

James stood silently, averting his eyes, looking to creaky wood floor. 

"Look at me," Sirius spoke, his voice quiet but cutting, "Look at me, James"

 James's eyes stayed glued to the floor. He could feel his palms sweat, his throat tighten, his eyes blur, but he couldn't look Sirius in the eye.

Sirius chuckled dryly, hesitating slightly as if his feet were stuck to the ground beneath him, then pulled himself down the stairs off to who knows where.

James hadn't done anything wrong. Right?

'Surely there were things I should have done differently but it wasn't as if I'd known, right?' 

James stood in the doorway for a moment, shell shocked but he soon retreated back into his room locking the door then sitting on the floor at the foot of his unkempt bed. His mind felt fuzzy from the racing thoughts and questions. His whole world had been turned on it's head in the matter of an afternoon, but the one thing he knew for sure was that he had made a mistake. He cannot have feelings for Regulus Black, not right now. Sirius was hurt, Lily was hurt, and he had managed to divide the Marauders in the matter of an afternoon. 

He fucked up.

But oh, boy, he had no idea what was to come. Sirius wasn't the only Black who overheard his proclamation.