Chapter Twenty - Five

Chapter Twenty – Five

Kathryn woke to soft murmurs around her, the crackling sound of the fire from the hearth.   A cool breeze fluttered across room, freshening the air, the window must be open.   Someone was gently caressing her face with a damp cloth, someone else was rubbing the aches from her lower back with some soothing salve.   The hands were soft and warm, Kathryn felt her aches melt away which each gentle stroke.

Slowly when her eyes fluttered open, warm eyes greeted her in return.   

"Ah, there ye are my sweet," the calming voice of Lady Campbell is what Kathryn heard.   Behind her came her sister-in-law Evelyn, rushing into view who also greeted her with a warm smile.

Kathryn still felt dazed as she looked around her room.  Grant was nowhere to be seen that that made her heart race.   She must have gotten a panicked look on her face when gentle hands caressed her cheek.

"Dinna worry Kathryn," Eileen bent low so that Kathryn would focus on her.  "Twas just here Grant was, tis visitors in the castle and Andrew had come to collect him."

"Who?" Kathryn managed to squeak out.  Her throat was hoarse and dry.  Evelyn ran to bring her a goblet of water to soothe her throat.

"I'm nae sure," Eileen said taking a seat on the bed beside Kathryn.   She grabbed her hand and gave her a soft squeeze.   "I dinna ask when Andrew came for Grant.   Your Mama and Beth are also down in the great hall."

"He dinna wish to go," Evelyn said comforting the worrying look on Kathryn's face.   "Andrew insisted that he come down to the great hall."

A soft chuckle Eileen let out.  "I dinna believe he will be gone long Kathryn," she smiled at her.  "Twas impossible to keep your husband away from ye."

Kathryn just nodded and gave Eileen and Evelyn a weak smile.   Trying to sit up, she felt a lot of pressure in her lower abdomen and couldn't mask her pain without wincing and placing her hand on her belly.

"Dinna force yourself Kathryn," Eileen softly told Kathryn as she stilled her movements by placing her hands upon Kathryn's shoulders.  "Ye have had a horrible fall, ye lost your bairn and plenty of blood.  Ye must rest and heal now."  

Evelyn came over to help Kathryn sit up a bit higher in bed, but kept an arm around her as she also sat on the bed with her.   Tilting her head onto Kathryn's, Evelyn pulled her close.

A single tear fell from Kathryn's eye, she felt so empty, so heartbroken. 

"Ye will be well Kathryn," Eileen reassured her as she wiped her tear away and cupped her chin.  "Twas no damage that I could see from the fall, ye and Grant will be able to have many more bairns."

As comforting as the words were, nothing could fill the hole in Kathryn's heart right now.  

"Ye must eat now Kathryn," Evelyn said quietly as she stood and went over to the side table.  There was warm broth for her, some soft cheese and bread to help Kathryn regain her strength.   

Kathryn ate as much as she could without upsetting herself more.  Her stomach was in knots over the loss, the pain in her lower back continued to ache and food was the last thing on her mind.   At Eileen's insistence, she did eat some and would try to eat more later on when she hoped to feel hungrier.  

The only thing she wanted right now, the only person she wanted right now was Grant.

As Grant descended the stairs entering the great hall, he was greeted with the sound of laughter.   It angered him even more so then Andrew pulling him away from his wife to go and greet the guest that had arrived a short while ago.   A guest that Andrew wouldn't tell Grant who he or she was or why he was insistent that Grant come greet this guest as well.