Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Ian slowly trotted down to the village that morn, he took Roslyn with him to collect the last of the rent from the crofter that wasn't home yesterday.  Roslyn giggled in delight, she rode with Ian on his stallion's back and was enjoying every minute of it.   Since Ian took Roslyn with him, he had six of the McKenna warriors with him to help guard Andrew's first born.

A flash of blue caught Ian's eye has he rounded the bend and was approaching the rise to see the entire village.  The odd shade of blue that he saw just yesterday at Hugh's home, when he caught Hugh with that woman, she was rushing quickly over to Nellie's cottage with sweet Fiona trailing behind her.  Ian could see Fiona's blond curls swirling in the breeze.

Ian groaned out loud.  No, it couldn't be the same woman, that woman couldn't be Fiona's Mother having the tryst with Hugh.  Sweet Fiona's Mother was a village whore?   How did this go unnoticed?   Nellie just told him yesterday that her husband had died, was this the only way she could support herself and her daughter?    Spurring his stallion into a full gallop, Ian rushed into the village.  He would get to the bottom of this.   He would find a more suitable job for Fiona's Mother.

"A good morn to ye Nellie," Ian shouted over to the robust woman who was now holding Fiona's hand.  She stopped when she heard her name and spun around to see who called.  A warm smile spread across her face when she saw him.

"Ah....a good morn to ye as well Sir Ian," Nellie said as she turned around and went down into a curtsey.

Ian handed Roslyn over to one of the guards and then dismounted from his stallion.   Taking Roslyn with him, he walked over to Nellie and Fiona.  "Good morn to ye little one," Ian said to Fiona making her blush.   He went down on his haunches and pulled Roslyn in beside him.  "Do ye remember me from yesterday wee Fiona?"  Ian asked her.

She shyly nodded at him but couldn't keep her eyes off of Roslyn.    Roslyn has a pretty blue ribbon in her hair, her gown was of the finest quality and the ribbon matched her gown perfectly.  She wore soft soled shoes and was clean, not a curl out of place.  Fiona, Ian notice, was wearing a thread bare gown, the same one as yesterday, again...no shoes and her face and hands were smeared with dirt.   She still looked as bonny as ever to Ian though.   Her pale curls fluttering in the breeze would always melt Ian's heart.

"Fiona," Ian started.  "Tis my niece, Lady Roslyn.  Roslyn," Ian turned to her now.  "This bonny lass, her name is Fiona."

"A pleasure to meet ye Fiona," Roslyn told her smiling.  There were no little girls up at the castle, only her two brothers, so Ian knew that Roslyn would love the friendship of a girl.   Roslyn was very well spoken for her age, for Emma spent hours with Roslyn teaching her.

"Hello," Fiona whispered to Roslyn, she was acting shy Ian noticed and was hiding partly behind Nellie.

"My are ye not a bonny lass Lady Roslyn," Nellie proclaimed ruffling Roslyn's curls.   Her smile was warm and inviting.

"My thanks Nellie," Roslyn said smiling up to her.   She turned to her Ian now.  "Uncle Ian, may I play with Fiona?"

Ian noticed that Fiona's eyes sparkled now, they went wide with amusement.   She seemed very excited to have a playmate.   "Of course Roslyn, if tis alright with Nellie, ye may play with Fiona."  Ian looked up at Nellie now and she nodded her approval.

"Fiona, why dinna ye take Roslyn over to see the new kittens that were just born two day past," Nellie told her.

"Oh," Roslyn squealed in delight.  "May I have a kitten Uncle Ian?" She was jumping up and down now and Ian hated to break her heart.