Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Grant felt Kathryn stiffen in his arms.   He saw what she saw, the top of the tower of Castle McGregor coming into view before them.   In an hour or so, they would be approaching the gates and Grant was mentally preparing himself to do battle with his Father-in-law.   He knew in his heart Laird McGregor was not going to approve of his daughter's marriage to a fourth born son of a Laird.   A son of a Laird marrying a daughter of a Laird is considered a good match, but not to Laird McGregor.  According to Kathryn and Gavin, their father wanted a rise in station for his only daughter.  He wanted her to marry, not for love, but for new allies and for power.   Also, so that she would be Mistress of a clan one day.

"All will be well love," Grant whispered in Kat's ear.   He felt her relax and sag up against him at his comforting words.   He placed a tender kiss on her forehead as he watched her shut her eyes.   She was very tired, Grant knows that she's been awake most nights worrying about what will happen with her Father.  He was worried about her, the purple stains underneath her eyes are reason enough to turn his stallion around and head for home.

Several hours ago they made one last stop before the final part of their journey.  During that time, Gavin had sent several of his men to go straight to Castle McGregor to alert the castle of their impending arrival.   He knew that his Mother would want to know they were arriving shortly.  She would want to have a meal prepared and necessary chambers prepared as well.  Gavin didn't care about his Father knowing they were arriving shortly, but for his Mother, he sent some warriors.

Grant's one hand held the reins to his stallion tightly, his other arm was wrapped tightly around Kathryn's waist.   He knew that he was being spiteful and got a scowl from his brother and Gavin, but Grant didn't care.  He was going to ride into Castle McGregor with Kathryn in his arms.  A statement they would make once her Father saw them.   Kathryn was most agreeable even though Gavin tried to get to ride her own mare, that it would anger their Father more.  She didn't care, Grant was her husband and she wanted the entire McGregor clan to know that he was hers.

Cheers and shouts could be heard now as the large party entered the bailey.   The courtyard was filled with clansmen, the family on the steps to the castle.   Lady McGregor, Grant noticed was already heading down the steps towards Gavin and Evelyn who were first to enter.   Laird McGregor was still standing at the top of the steps, surveying the party as they drew near and when he locked eyes with Grant, then looked at his daughter in his arms, anger crossed his face as he quickly descended the steps.

Grant cursed when Kathryn lurched against him from hearing the shouts of her name from her Father.   Her heart was racing, she had fallen asleep the last hour or so and he was hoping that she would remain sleeping and could have placed her in her chamber.   He watched as she scanned the surrounding area and stiffened in his arms again when she saw her Father barrelling towards them.

"Let me down Grant," Kathryn said calmly to him.   So he did, he cupped her beneath her arms and slowly lowered her to the ground just as her Father was approaching them.

"What tis the meaning of this!" Laird Callum McGregor shouted as he grabbed Kathryn by the arm and yanked her towards him.   He was furious, his chest was heaving from his anger.

Grant was just lowering himself down when he saw what Callum had done to Kathryn and Grant was furious.  "Remove your hands off of my wife," Grant snarled as he walked towards them and reached for Kathryn.  Gently he pulled her towards him and wrapped his arms around her.

"What goes here Kathryn?"  Callum bellowed as his face flamed red at Grant's proclamation.  His hands were fisted in the air. 

Kathryn stepped in front of Grant, sleepiness thrown aside and now she is angered as well.    Her hands on her hips in defiance, "Grant and I have married Da."