Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The castle was still quiet in the early morning hour, few were awake for Ian sat alone in the kitchen sipping some ale. Cook was preparing a basket for him to take to Jenny and Fiona. A fresh loaf of bread, cheese, honey and some eggs that Ian found fresh that morning was what he wanted to bring. He even stopped in Emma's storage room and took a few bars of her soap that she made.

When Ian picked up Roslyn yesterday, he was angered at what he found out from Nellie. Jenny and Fiona were living in the abandoned cottage, the last one in the row. Ian had no clue that they were living there for the castle was not notified. The cottage was run down, holes in the thatched roof, Ian was thinking that if a new family had wanted to live on McKenna's lands, that cottage would have to be completely redone to make it habitable. Yet, here he found out that Jenny and Fiona were living there.

Six months she was living there Nellie told him. She had moved out of her cottage for she could not afford the rent and Ian knew why now. He knew the cottage that she vacated for after she left, Ian had found another couple to move in it. A nice young family that was making a fresh start What Ian didn't know was that Jenny was the one who had moved out.

Ian snapped out of his daze as he heard the cook call him. Mary was her name, she has been with the McKenna's since Ian was a baby, she was like family to them all. He kissed her cheek, thanked her and swore her to secrecy. He was almost out the side kitchen door when...

"Where are ye off to Ian McKenna?" his sister-in-law Emma demanded as she stood beside cook. Her hands on her hips, the look of question in her eye, she knew that he was up to something. The look on Mary's face said that she wasn't sure Ian was going to be able to keep his secret.

"Off to the village Emma, tis all," Ian said as he shifted his basket from one hand to the other.

"Hmmm," Emma stared at him intently, like she didn't believe him. "Tis before dawn Ian, a wee bit early to be visiting."

"Aye well, tis a sick crofter Emma," Ian said nervously. "Just bringing him some food."

"I could go with ye Ian," Emma lightened up a bit. "I will bring my herbs with me if the crofter is ill."

"Nae!" Ian said a bit too loudly taking a step towards her as if to fend her off. "Tis just some food Emma, tis all. If the crofter falls more ill, I will call ye."

"Aye," Emma said as she watched Ian suspiciously. She looked at him in the face, then down at the basket that he held in his hands. "I expect ye will for I willna have a villager ill for long."

"Of course Emma," Ian replied shifting the basket once again. "I will call ye first. I best be off." And out the door Ian went relieved that he had somehow fooled Emma but he felt horrible lying to her. But for now, Jenny and Fiona were to be his secret and until he wooed Jenny, no one would know.

"What was that all about Mary?" Emma asked turning towards her cook who was busy stirring the pot over open fire.

Mary just shrugged her shoulders, her curly grey hair just bobbed with the gesture. "I dinna know Lady Emma, twas just some food Ian asked," Mary told her. She couldn't look at Emma in the face so she continued on with her duties so that Emma wouldn't see her lying as well.

Ian sat atop the hill behind Jenny's cottage. He could see the door from where he was sitting, but he knew from this angle, Jenny wouldn't be able to see him. He also was hidden behind a copse of trees, his stallion grazing in the grass just behind him. He placed the basket by the door a while ago but he knew that it was early still, so he just sat there and waited until Jenny found the basket.