Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

The mood was sombre at Castle McKenna.   All men rushed towards the village to help put out the fire.  The first ones on the scene started with buckets of water from the closest well.   All four McKenna's were there helping, Gavin helped out as well.    One of the cottages caught fire, but the flames reached the thatched roof before the fire could be put out.  The roof collapsed before anyone could enter to see if a rescue had to be made.

When the fire was put out, the cottage was still too warm to search, so the men returned to the castle.   Angus left behind some of his McKenna's warriors to go through the remains of the cottage when it was safe to search and then report back to him.

"Ye are well?" Kathryn cried out to Grant as she looked him over, her hands searching his face, his arms and chest.   "Ye have a few tiny burns, come....Emma has some salve."

"Dinna fret Kat," Grant said slowing her down and pulling her into his embrace.   He just needed to hold her close.   He knew that he was full of soot and ashes, but she was what he needed now.   He peered over his shoulder and the rest were the same.   The women hugging their spouses, Emma fussing over Andrew and Angus, Jenny looking over Ian to make sure that he was alright and Evelyn hugging Gavin closely to her.

He kissed her head now and inhaled her soft floral scent.  The smell of burnt assaulted his nostrils and he just wanted to rid himself of it.   "Tis only Andrew with a few smaller burns on his arms," Grant mumbled out.    "Twas like a mad man he was trying to rip open the door to the cottage to see if anyone was inside."

"Was there?" Kat peered up at him, her lashes spiked with tears.  

"We are nae sure love," Grant pulled her closer to him, laying her head onto his chest.  "Tis a younger family who rents that cottage, they were nae where to be found.   Twas hoping they were in the village market or perhaps in the fields."

The great hall was turned into a make-shift healing station.   Emma sent some clansmen back down to the village to see if anyone else had injuries and burns, for she would treat them up at the castle. She was insisting on heading down to the village herself with her supplies, but in her condition, Andrew forbade it.  

Not many were injured, a few with some minor burns that salve would take care of.  Andrew was the worst, was a burn on his arm that Emma put salve and then wrapped a cloth-like bandage around.  

A warm meal was put out shortly after.  Some ate, most didn't for the fire has upset the McKenna's greatly.  There was once a fire in the village many years ago, when the McKenna sons were very young, but not since then.   Back then, a Mother and child and had perished and the entire clan mourned their deaths.

The report came in while they ate and the news was grave.    The bodies of two were found among the cottage remains.   They were burned badly, but were identified as the husband and wife who rented that cottage.  The remains of the child were not found but were assumed to have been with them as well.   Angus declared the day was of mourning and ordered graves to be dug and a prayer service was to be held in a few hours to mourn the lost family.

"Ian," Angus said sadly.  "We canna disrespect the family lost today, ye must marry another day."

"Aye Da," Ian agreed nodding.  "I have already spoken with Jenny and she agrees.  She knew the lost family and is very sadden by the news.   For twas her old cottage that they rented now."

"Da," Grant called to his father.   "I have asked Gavin's permission to marry Kathryn, he has agreed."

That news brought a smile to Angus' face, emotions were already running high in the castle, but hearing the news of another wedding made them run even higher.   "Ye made a fine choice for a wife Grant," Angus said reaching over the table and grabbing his son's arm.   "Tis good news on a day of mourning."