Prologue

Skye's mother watched as Skye and her husband, Croc, ran to safety.
Then, kick.
Skye's mother looked at her belly, which had swelled to an unnatural size.
Oh, Ava.
She was pregnant with another daughter, one that she and Croc were going to call Ava, before all this happened. Now, she would die in this house with her. She had never lived, and her life was already coming to a close. Skye's mother knew that she should try and save Ava, but deep down she knew it was no use.
Croc was running with Skye in the distance. She could not bear to look at them anymore. It filled her with such unimaginable grief, that her heart wrenched at their every step. To solve this, she backed away from the window.
And good job, too, because it was at that moment that the front of the house exploded in flame and rubble.
Skye's mother was thrown backwards into the wall behind her from the force, and she slumped onto the floor, grunting from the pain. The wall was hot; there was obviously a fire somewhere on the other side.
Then, another kick.
"I need to save her," she muttered, although there was no one around to hear her.
She clutched her stomach and went through the hallway into the kitchen. Sure enough, there was a flame roaring and blazing brightly in the kitchen... or at least what was left of the kitchen.
But, luckily, there was a door open to the town. The borders of the Komoran town were not much further away from there. Maybe she could get out still?
Kick.
"Please stop kicking. I have my hands full right now," Skye's mother grumbled.
She ran steadily but speedily out the back of the house just before it collapsed. She didn't even look back. She just kept going into the forest.
Then, pain.
It erupted in Skye's mother's chest, as blood sprayed in front of her. She fell forward with a cry of pain; one of the henchmen had shot her!
Kick.
Skye's mother continued to crawl along, now determined to escape for Ava. A trail of blood was drawn into the ground, and it was clear that no one was following her.
When she was in a clearing away from the town, she sat up and grunted upon another one of Ava's kicks. This was then followed by a rustle, which caused Skye's mother to perk up.
What is that?
A furry orange face peeked out of the brush, and Skye's mother gasped. It suddenly stood up on two feet; it towered over her with its two beady black eyes staring at her.
"Please don't hurt me!" Skye's mother cried. "I am pregnant with a daughter. Spare us!"
The orange fluffy... thing cocked its head at Skye's mother with curiosity.
"Hurt you? I'm not here to hurt you. I saw you were hurt. I'm here to help!" The thing smiled.
All of a sudden, the thing looked more like a giant teddy bear than a huge beast. It's mass of fur suddenly looked sift and huggable, and its beady eyes now looked like buttons.
Skye's mother groaned again, and Ava kicked some more.
"She's coming!" she shouted to the thing.
"Is she? Well, I'll try my best. I don't know loads about midwifery, but I'll do all I can to help."
Skye's mother screamed, and it felt like the Sun had exploded in her womb. It hurt so bad that she thought she might pass out, but she didn't.
"Uhh... Deep breaths? Isn't that what they say? Oh, push!" The thing suggested helpfully.
Skye's mother managed to calm her breathing, but only slightly.
She's coming!
"Who are you?!" she shouted to the thing with more aggression than she meant to.
"My name's Olivia," the thing said calmly. "I'm a Morphable; I can change into anything you want me to!"
Skye's mother screamed again, and this time the creature, Olivia, screamed too.
"OH MY GOD IT'S A HEAD IT'S A HEAD!" Olivia screeched.
Skye's mother continued to push, and soon their ears were filled with the sound of a crying child.
"It's almost there, umm, keep going!" Olivia whimpered.
And then, it was done. Olivia picked Ava up and held her in her arms.
"It's a girl," Olivia smiled.
"I know. We were... going... to call her... Ava," Skye's mother said between breaths.
"Are you alright?" Olivia asked Skye's mother. But then, she saw the blood. "You've been shot!" she shouted.
"I have. Olivia, I'm dying. I'm not going to make it," Skye's mother sighed.
"Well, you don't know that. Little Ava here needs you... I'll try and help."
"You can't help! I'm already dead!"
Olivia paused for a moment, taken aback. She nodded, accepting her fate. She was now incredibly pale; she was almost gone.
"Well, if this is how you are going to die... I promise I will protect her. I would like to know your name. Ava will want to know it someday," Olivia suggested.
Skye's mother looked at Olivia in her beady eyes exhaustedly, as if even keeping her eyes open costed great effort.
"My name? Well... my name is..."
But then she was gone.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Word Count: 877 Words