Chapter 12: Golden Plot (Part 2)

The purple Cube rolled over to the left. Then it kept on going before changing direction towards the glass. It seemed to go close to the glass, sense it was there before going left once and then back several times, then heading right.
"For a magical Cube, it's not very interesting, is it?" Ava remarked.
"Actually, it's very interesting. It appears to be very intelligent. It's exploring; see how it turned away from the glass? It appears to be blind, but it must have some kind of sensing system, as it sensed the glass from up close. Also, those markings on the sides could be a reaction to something, or communication. So, you know, it's very interesting," Jules explained.
Skye didn't like the Cube. Although it was just a glorified purple box, it gave her arms goosebumps and made her chest tight. She could feel the Cube's darkness. She could feel the Cube's evil. As Jules had said, it was very intelligent. But not in the way of an AI, but in the way of something alive.
"How is this getting us closer to Chaos Agent and Shadow?" Skye huffed.
"It's got to, somehow. It was left in Chaos Agent's office after all," Midas said.
"And, if it's just a massive coincidence, look at it! It's so cute, rolling over and over, learning things!" Jules smiled.
Skye didn't agree.
"It'll take too long to search this Cube for clues!" Skye sighed. "Maybe we should ask around, see if anyone knows anything?"
Skye glanced at Ava, who 100% without a doubt knew what Skye was thinking.
"Girl, if you want to see your undead girlfriend again, just say," Ava smiled unhelpfully.
It could have just been Skye, but she could have sworn that she saw Joe shuffle uncomfortably in his spot. Maybe it was the fact that Ava had described Hush as undead, or that she had been described as Skye's girlfriend, but he didn't like it.
"Hush has the answers. She's known that sly ink man for almost her entire life. She has to know something!" Skye begged.
"Me and Olivia will come with you," Ava nodded.
"And me, too," Ollie added.
Skye nodded back. All going together would be good, seeing as they all knew about the Rift Stars and it would be generally safer.
"Let's go!" Skye smiled, swiftly turning to leave.
The four started walking (really just Skye and Ava - Ollie and Olivia were on their heads) out of the door, when-
"WAIT! I wanna come!" Joe cried.
Skye winced. Joe didn't know about the Rift Stars, nor could he every know. His mind wouldn't be able to handle it... Skye knew that he would die.
How was she going to tell him.
"Do you know where she lives?" Skye asked instead.
"No," Joe replied. "Can you show me?"
Perfect.
"The less people who know where she lives, the better. Sorry, honey. I'll see you later, ok?" Skye feigned disappointment.
She kissed Joe on his helmet, where his cheek would be, then walked out the door.
Joe was more put out than ever. Skye never seemed to want to spend any time with him anymore. What was he doing wrong?

***

Hush had to admit that the fields in Frenzy Farms were beautiful. The corn stalks swayed back and forth lazily in the slight breeze, glowing bronze in the orange evening light. Sat on the white farmhouse's porch on the rocking chair, the atmosphere was relaxed, and nothing could ruin it.
"Hush! Hush," Marcus, the Burning Wolf, shouted, trying to catch his breath.
Oh well. Maybe one day she would be able to catch her breath and rest.
"What's wrong?" Hush asked Marcus.
Then, Hush spotted Skye, Ava, Ollie and Olivia behind him.
"We need your help," Skye said.
"I need to sit down," Marcus puffed, going inside.
"What do you need?" Hush asked the group once Marcus was inside.
Skye and Ava exchanged looks.
"We need to find Chaos Agent," Skye explained.
Hush raised her eyebrows.
"Why on Earth would you want to do that?"
"We're taking down IO, and we need all the help we can get," Ava butted in, in a fashion that defended Skye.
Hush looked from Skye, to Ava, then back at Skye again. Skye gulped, cold sweat beading on her forehead.
"The other day, Sierra said that she saw some activity in the vault near your base in Catty Corner. Was that you?" Hush asked suspiciously.
"No," Skye said.
"Well there you go, then."
Skye looked to the floor. She didn't even know about the vault. How could Shadow be in there.
"We'll ask Midas to check it out, thank you," Ava nodded.
Hush began to head inside the farmhouse.
"Call me when you go to him," Hush said as a parting message.
"Call you?" Skye asked.
"Oh, yeah. You definitely want me there when you go in. I can bring the whole gang along. It'll be good to get out of the house for once," Hush shrugged.
Hush's face, as always, was completely emotionless. Skye had no idea if she was happy about this, sad or angry. She always concealed her emotions like this, not to be seen by the outside world. Skye secretly wished that she could bring out Hush's sensitive side.
"Anyway, bye bye. See you then," Hush waved, then closed the door.
Skye, Ollie, Ava and Olivia were left on the porch, staring at the farmhouse's elegant door.
"We should get moving," Ollie suggested.
Skye nodded, before turning and leaving, Ava close behind.

***

Skye, for about the billionth time, flopped onto her bed. Ollie jumped from Skye's head, turning into a bean bag on the floor.
"Busy day," Ollie remarked.
"Yeah," Skye sighed.
"Don't worry about anything. You've told Midas about the vault, it's all good."
"Then why do I have a constant feeling of existential dread?"
Ollie sighed.
"I don't know," he mumbled truthfully.
"Ugh, I just wanna go to sleep. Goodnight Ollie."
"Goodnight."
Skye flicked out her light, and sent her room into pitch blackness. Ollie was asleep within minutes, snoring his little head off, but Skye took about an hour. She couldn't find rest. Seh couldn't find peaceful sleep. But, soon, the feeling of fitful sleep took over.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Word Count: 1050 Words