Chapter 17: Bring The Thunder (Part 2)

"OH MY GOD THEY DIED!" Joe wailed.

The vent that the agents were in seemed to close in around Skye, making her feel as though she couldn't breathe in the enclosed space. She thought of the henchmen that accompanied them moments ago, gaping holes torn into their chests, their blood forming a single river on the monotone floor of the Order's prison.

"Sacrifice for our survival!" The Origin yelled back.

"Keep going! Just keep going!" Ollie shouted to The Origin.

Despite wanting to get out desperately, Skye didn't move as soon as The Origin did. She moved just after, though not in a straight line. Her claustrophobia was getting to her now more than ever, and every breath was accompanied by indescribable amounts of agony, as if her lungs were being filled with water.

"You better keep moving, or I'm clawing my way out of here!" Skye screamed, her voice reverberating in the metal coffin.

Skye was caught up in her own fear that she didn't register The Origin falling through a vent into a room below.

"Origin!" Skye cried, launching herself forwards.

"Wait, what happened?" Ava called forward. Skye wanted to reply, but when she tried to, no words came out.

Skye edged closer to the vent, and slowly peered over the edge. She didn't know if The Origin was alive or dead, and she didn't know if she wanted to know. Her curiosity overwhelmed her sickening fears, though, and she looked into the room below.

The Origin was there alright. He lay sprawled on top of some kind of crushed machine, and it was impossible to work out if he was alive for not. He certainly wasn't moving.

"Skye, is he ok?" Ollie whispered.

There were more gunshots, and Skye ducked her head down, even though it wouldn't have done much in the metal tube that they were in.

"Joe!" Skye screamed through the noise.

"I'm ok, but we need to keep moving!" Joe shouted at Skye.

Skye glanced at The Origin's lifeless form on the floor of the mystery room below. No one had come to collect his body, so maybe there weren't any IO guards in the room? She looked at The Origin, scanning for any signs of movement, a twitch of a muscle or the slow rise or fall of his chest.

"Skye, he's gone. We have to move on," Ollie sighed.

Skye knew that the vent was narrow enough to avoid, leaving The Origin to die, presumably. But, what if there was a chance that he was alive? She had known him for just a few minutes, but she didn't want him to die. He had helped them!

Against better judgement, Skye let herself fall through the open vent into the room with The Origin. She landed next to him in a heap, gathering enough sense to move The Origin out of the way before Ollie toppled through the opening after her. She still didn't know if he was alive; for all she knew, she was dealing with a corpse.

"Skye, this is insane!" Ollie hissed.

"If this is insane, then why did you follow me?" Skye huffed.

Ollie let out a yelp as Ava landed on top of him, using his fluffy exterior to break her fall.

"Thanks, Ollie!" Ava smiled, rolling off of him.

"You're welcome," Ollie grumbled, which was followed by another yelp as Joe fell onto him.

"Skye, are you sure about this? They surely know where we are," Joe asked Skye.

"I know. That's why we've gotta get out of here, like, really soon, but... I couldn't leave him, you know?" Skye mumbled.

"...I know," Joe said. He placed his hand on Skye's, wrapped his warm hands around hers. Even though they couldn't warm her fearful soul, they warmed her aching heart of The Origin's death... maybe.