Chapter 7: Besties

Midas and Jules followed Ava and Joe out of their office to what they wanted them to see. There, gathering the attention of multiple henchmen, was a huge silver jet, just under the height of the factory in Catty Corner. It was unlike anything Jules had ever seen; the sleek, aerodynamic design, the logo on the side, the compartment in the middle which Ava was opening right now.
When the compartment was open, four silver robots tumbled out onto the floor with various bullet holes in them. Jules wanted to ask what they were, but she knew that Ava and Joe would have no idea. That would be why they came to her.
"Where did you get these?" Jules asked them.
"Near Lazy Lake. We were just... chilling, and then this jet comes down and lands next to us. These bots come out and they're all like Daleks and stuff in the way they just want to kill us. Their aim was really good, but we killed them, easy," Ava explained.
"And, let me guess, you want me to have a look at them?"
Ava nodded, and Jules smiled. She clicked her fingers, and several henchmen bystanders ran in and lifted up the robots. Another few went over to a crane so they could pick up the jet and move it to a safe location.
"To the lab!" Jules called out.
She, Midas and the henchmen all headed inside of Catty Corner's main building, where they were likely spending the next few hours.

"Noticed anything?" Midas asked Jules almost silently, barely above a whisper.
"I noticed things as soon as Skye's sister told me about her encounter. I figured first that if they had really good aim, then how? There are no visible cameras or any way that the bots can see anything. So, I wondered if there was some kind of built-in sensor that searches for nearby living entities," Jules explained.
"Ok. And?"
"And I found this."
Jules held up a compact bit of machinery, sealed on top by a piece of metal.
"I assume that's our sensor," Midas said.
"Yes. It's a thermal sensor and motion sensor hybrid. Really clever bit of tech, especially considering how small it is," Jules nodded.
"Cool. Anything else?"
"Well, I looked closer at the sensor. And good job I did, because I found a manufacturer name, in English. That means it's of Earth origin."
"And? What manufacturer?"
"Well, have you ever heard of Marvel?"
"You mean the superheroes? Yes. Why?"
"Because the manufacturers label themselves as Stark Industries. Like Iron Man, Tony Stark."
"The way you say it, it's almost like you want me to believe that it's the actual Stark Industries making these robots."
"That's exactly what I want you to believe. Tony Stark owns a tech company, he's a really smart guy. Would be so farfetched to think that this is the real Stark Industries? Besides, we've already seen Deadpool."
"Jules, are you sure?"
"I'm almost certain."
"It's just... That's a big claim. I don't think you realise what you're actually suggesting."
"Oh, I do. I think Tony Stark is on the Island. And he's got a bone to pick with someone."
At that moment, Skye appeared through the door. She looked from Jules, to Midas, then to the robot on the table.
"What the heck is that?" she asked them curiously.
"This is one of the robots that killed Ava and Joe. They had an encounter with them near Lazy Lake. I'm sorry," Jules said bluntly.
Skye was at a loss for words. How could she let this happen to her friends? Her sister and boyfriend were dead, and it was all her fau-
"Don't look so shocked. They're not dead. In fact, they're not even hurt. Maybe if you were around more, you would realise that," Jules scolded her.
Skye's eyes glanced downwards at the floor.
"That wasn't nice," Ollie said.
"I know. I'm sorry, Skye," Jules apologized.
But then, Skye left, running out of the makeshift lab.
"Skye, wait!" Midas shouted.
"I'll talk to her!" Ollie shouted back, getting cut off towards the end.
Skye felt her eyes beginning to well up. She didn't realise how much she was neglecting her friends... by picking herself, Hush and Ollie, she was abandoning Ava, Joe, Midas, Jules... everyone! It was her toxicity that made TnTina leave the Island to who knew where. She didn't even know where Siona or Dio were, or how Ocean or Brutus were doing. She was losing track of her friendship group, and putting all of her time into Hush. Of course, she knew that she couldn't see all of her friends all of the time, but to not even give them regular check-ups was unacceptable.
Skye broke into a sprint away from Catty Corner, not to anywhere in particular, just away.
But, as it turned out, away ended up being into someone. Skye, Ollie and the other person fell on the floor hard. They sprawled out next to each other for a moment while they recovered.
"I'm so sorry! I didn't see you coming," Skye apologized.
But then, when Skye saw who she was apologizing to, she froze.
"...Tina!" Skye whimpered, a wave of relief surging through her.
"Tina!" Ollie gasped.
"The one and only," TnTina grumbled, getting up.
She was just as Skye remembered her; her hair was the same length and colour, her eyes were surrounded by the same eye shadow, and she wore the same thing she did on the day she left.
"I-I'm so sorry! I'm an awful friend! I don't even know how I could tell them such private stuff about you!" Skye blubbered, hugging TnTina tightly.
"I would say you're not an awful friend, but you are. But, you know, it's all part of the package, isn't it?" TnTina chuckled.
"We need to tell the others! Oh, I have so much to tell you!"
"No, listen, I'm not staying for long. I'm literally here to deliver this to you."
TnTina held up a simple black backpack.
"What's in it?" Skye asked her.
"One of Slone's cronies gave to me, that India Oscar woman. She wants me to give it to Siona and Dio. It's parts for their spaceship, apparently," TnTina shrugged.
"That means they can go home!" Ollie smiled.
"But why would she give it to you? I mean, no offense, but you're not a part of IO," Skye asked.
"India said that if I didn't, then there'd be an alien invasion or something. So, you know, I was kinda pressured," TnTina explained.
"Sure. I'll take it."
Skye took the backpack from TnTina and put it in her back.
"So, what was it you wanted to tell me?" TnTina reminded Skye.
"Who's this?"
Skye and TnTina both turned to Ava who stood at the top of the hill. She ran down to meet them and smiled at TnTina.
"Oh, you're TnTina, aren't you?" Ava realised. "I'm Ava, nice to meet you."
"So, you're a new agent around here, then?" TnTina asked her.
"Tina, this is my sister, Ava," Skye said.
TnTina looked at Skye, wide-eyed, then back at Ava again.
"No way!" TnTina cried.
"Mm hmm!" Skye grinned.
Skye was tempted to tell TnTina about the new sword and the Rift Stars, although she knew she wasn't allowed to. She decided to not even bring it up; if she said anything about it, and then refused to continue, TnTina would think she was lying to her again, and their friendship would be ruined. And also, just in case...
Ava, please don't tell her about the sword, Skye thought.
Ava, behind TnTina's back, nodded.
"So, did anything happen to you?" Skye asked TnTina.
"Nothing much. DJ Yonder, that famous DJ, is actually a llama. That Sam Crawley guy is with him now. So, umm, DJ Yonder is a new IO person you may have to worry about. Military experience, he said," TnTina shrugged.
"Good to know. I'll tell Midas," Skye nodded.
"Skye! Skye! Where are you?" Skye heard Joe shouting from the distance.
"Skye, we need to go!" Ava hissed.
"Bye, Tina. It was nice seeing you. I'll see you again soon, ok?" Skye smiled.
TnTina nodded, then ran off and disappeared, just as Joe appeared. He looked at Skye expectantly.
"Skye? What's happening?" he asked, completely out of breath.
Skye and Ava exchanged looks with a smile.
"Nothing," Skye said.
"I'm glad you're alright."
"I'm sorry if I haven't spent a lot of time with you recently. You too, Ava. I've kinda been a bit of a recluse recently."
"Honestly, we don't mind what you do. But, don't shut yourself out completely, ok?" Ava giggled.
Skye looked from Ava to Joe, both smiling at her despite the stresses she had put them through.
"Thanks, guys. You're the best," Skye smiled.
Joe and Ava hugged Skye, and she hugged them back, with Ollie on her head feeling like a hug in itself. The moment was all she could ever ask for; all she'd ever wanted.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Word Count: 1517 Words