3 Up for the challenge

Two weeks had passed and I was now used to the routine and how the shop worked.

I learned that Uta is a bit of a clean freak so cleaning the whole shop everyday even if no one came was on the regular. But this wasn't what bugged me.

Uta was still hiding me from every customer. Even if they came just to collect their finished mask.

First few rounds he still shoved me to the back himself but after that I realized there was no other way and went back voluntarily any time I heard the doorbell.

I didn't understand what was the problem. I asked him but he dismissed me saying that he doesn't have time to explain stupid stuff.

Not seeing any clear reason, I started seeing the problem in me.

I had spent few times in the evening looking in the mirror in my home. Trying to see if I was that repulsive that I couldn't step in the showroom when customers were there.

Y/N you're doing this because you need money and not validation from others.

I'd tell myself every time I went to that backroom.

I didn't know what to think because when we were alone Uta treated me nicely, made jokes even.

"Y/N? Did you get the black leather I wanted?" Uta was stitching a mask at the high table.

"Yes, do you want it now?" I shouted from the storage room.

"Yep."

I came out with the material he wanted and put it on the table next to the mask.

"Thank you, bunny." He smiled innocently. He knew how that nickname irked me.

"I told you not to call me that." I grunted.

"But you're. You always stub your toe on that corner and come jumping in like a bunny." He chuckled having so much fun.

I crossed my arms in front me.

"Oh, I'm glad you're having fun at other's misfortune." The sarcasm oozing from my tone.

"Misfortune? It's like you're doing that on purpose." He laughed out letting go of the mask he was holding.

"Haha, you know I could want compensation for that. That's a work injury and I should be compensated for the damage that dammed corner gives me every morning." I argued while pointing at that devilish piece of wall.

His smile was still wide but he grabbed back the mask and continued sewing.

I only rolled my eyes.

"Oh and bunny? Get me a new thread I'm almost out of this one." He smiled mischievously at me, very aware what he was doing.

I looked at him with a tired expression and slouchily went to the storage room again.

"Take some scrap material too." He added.

When I came back he put the mask to the side and looked at me.

"Here you go." The annoyance in my voice apparent.

He kept looking at me like he wanted anything so I looked back the stuff I brought if I didn't forget anything.

I had everything, what was the problem?

"Sit down Y/N." He motioned to the bar stool.

I squinted my eyes in suspicion and sat down.

"Take that piece." He pointed to the dark blue fabric I brought.

"Why."

"You wanted me to teach you how to stitch masks so I'm going to teach you." His face was bright.

My energy started coming back and my eyes sparkled.

"Really?" I said excitedly.

He nodded.

I quickly took one of the needles he had on the table and started pulling the thread through.

When I was ready he took a piece of fabric as well and took a needle he had prepared from before.

He did few stitches and then turned the fabric towards me.

"Okay so let's start from the basics."

He started explaining how made that pattern but I was already confused. All the loops and twists made my mind go blank.

"Now you try."

I nodded and tried to imitate his work.

Nope. Not even close.

I did something, though it definitely didn't look like what Uta held in his hands.

I sighed and my hands fell limply on the table.

"What, what is it. Show me." He looked at me confused and then he reached out for my fabric.

"Yeah, that is not good." He inspected my poor attempt.

My head hit the table.

"I'll never learn how to stitch." I muffled out, my head was still resting on the table.

"It was your first try. No one was good the first time." He tried to console.

I peeled my face from the table and looked up at him. He had a hopeful smile.

"You can't yet give up, bunny."

"Don't call me that." My mood changed again.

"Then try it again." He shoved the fabric in my hands.

"But I can't see how you do it if you sit across from me." I argued.

"I don't think that's the problem. I'm self-taught, I didn't have anybody to lead my hands, bunny."

"I told you to not call me bunny." I raised my voice.

"I can't stop if you don't try again."

I groaned and made my second attempt.

I did few stitches but it still looked different.

"Look I did it. My second try. Nothing changed." I pushed the fabric towards him defeated.

He took the fabric again, grazing his finger across the stiches.

"The thread is tighter, that's good. See, you got better, bunny."

I was a bit happy that I made something better but he had to ruin it with that stupid nickname.

"Hey! You promised, no more nicknames!"

"I didn't promise anything but... okay I have an idea..."

I watched him expectantly how he was going to continue.

"...I'll show you two other stitches and until you learn all three of them, I'll call you bunny all I want, deal?" He reached out his hand with a big smile.

I thought about it for a bit.

I'd have to be able to learn those stitches quickly for him to stop sooner. I think I can do that if I practice enough.

I grabbed his hand and shook it.

"Deal." I said with a motivated expression.