14 Waking up in unknown

I woke up feeling a cold breeze tickling my skin. Still half asleep I tugged at the blanket I felt laying on my body.

Another wave of breeze made me open my eyes as I wanted to close the window to what I thought was my bedroom.

I froze as I saw the unfamiliar room. My eyes were darting from corner to corner trying to map out the environment.

I pulled the blanket more towards me in anxiousness. As pushed myself closer to the wall I kicked something and it fell down with a loud thud.

Immediately I heard hurried steps coming towards the room.

I quickly pulled the blanket over myself and pretended to be asleep.

I heard the door open and my eyes shut harder.

"Y/N? Are you awake?" It was Itori's voice.

It wasn't an anxious tone like she had before but it seemed more caring.

I popped my head from under the blanket and saw her smile at me.

"Where am I Itori? Why did we have to leave?" I faintly said still confused about where I woke up.

"Don't worry about that now, you should rest and when you feel like it come down for some breakfast." She gave me a final smile and carefully closed the door behind her.

I listened to her steps getting further and further away and when I no longer heard her I stood up from the bed. Now I saw what I had kicked off the bed, it was my bag with the clothes. I decided to change since I was still in my pajamas.

Then I noticed the opened window that woke me so I decided to look out if I'd notice where I was by the surrounding buildings.

It didn't seem like it was in the middle of nowhere. The street below was actually pretty busy but I still didn't recognize anything.

Taking a final look at the room, it seemed pretty ordinary, a bed, a closet, couple of plants.

Finally, I decided to leave the room. Slowly going through the corridor, following the steps Itori's made. As I came to the stairs I could hear a few voices coming from downstairs. I contemplated for a few seconds, gathering my courage to descend the stairs.

As I neared the end of the stairs, the voices got louder, I felt my heart beat faster. I could now recognize Itori's voice, however, there were some I didn't know which made me nervous.

The creaks brought attention to me and the conversation the people held got quieter.

I gulped down on the lump I felt in my throat and stepped in the room. It seemed like a café, with tables, a bar, and everything.

I managed to quickly spot Itori sitting at the bar. Behind the bar were two people and judging by their attire they were the employees.

I stood frozen in place. The backs of my feet were still touching the last stair as I didn't move when I noticed the unfamiliar faces.

"Y/N come here, you must be hungry." Itori motioned me to sit down with patting the soft cushion of the barstool.

Meanwhile, the girl behind the bar pulled up pancakes from under the counter and put them on the bar.

"Good morning." I anxiously uttered while awkwardly smiling at the two strangers.

Itori pushed the plate before me as I got comfortable in the chair.

I looked at the plate, those pancakes looked heavenly but before I could give in to the urge to eat them I turned to Itori.

"Thank you for your hospitality..." I said as I looked between her and the two waiters.

"...but I really need to know, why are we here. Is Uta okay? Where is he?" I desperately looked around as I started to realize what happened and what Itori told me that night.

Itori took a sip of her coffee and said.

"Y/N please eat now and I'm going to tell you everything later. And don't worry, Uta won't get killed so easily." She chuckled.

Even though I didn't believe her reassuring words, there wasn't a point in begging her to tell me now so I dug into the pancakes hoping to shorten the time until she explained everything.

As I ate Itori got back to talking with the male waiter. I tried to focus on the food but I felt the eyes of the girl watching me.

She didn't talk with Itori and also not with the other waiter. I didn't know what to think of her. The male waiter was at least smiling so he seemed friendly.

"Touka could you please get new coffee beans from the back?" The waiter suddenly called on her, maybe noticing the uneasiness I radiated under the girl's stare.

The Touka girl nodded and without a word left.

"I'm Enji by the way and that was Touka. She isn't much of a talker." He chuckled.

I nodded and introduced myself as well.

When I was finished with the breakfast, I looked at Itori who immediately knew what I was asking.

Itori led me back into the room I woke up in started explaining.

Apparently, the CCG raided Uta's shop. Fortunately, he wasn't there when it happened. When he came there and pieced together what had happened he called Itori to take me and move to a different place.

Where I woke was actually one of the rooms of the café house that is owned by other ghouls. My heart jumped a bit where I heard that because I felt like the girl staring at me was just hungry.

When I asked where Uta was, Itori said that unfortunately she doesn't know but she reassured me once again that he should be fine. She also added that we'll have to stay here for some time until the chaos in the 4th ward will calm down a bit.

Seeing my distraught face, Itori gave a small smile trying to make me feel better.

Her explaining the situation did help clear up some things but it didn't help the worry I had for Uta. It made it worse even.