9 The truth

"How's the stitching going? Is Uta helping you?" Itori leaned over my shoulder to look at my hands that were busy pulling a needle through the fabric.

It was almost the end of my shift. Uta's shop was already closed and he was trying to find something in the storage room.

Itori came by because she and Uta had a plan to go somewhere so she was keeping me company while she waited for him.

"No, I'd rather do it myself." I put the fabric closer to help me focus on the tiny knots I was making.

"Hm, aren't you bored of the stitching? You should go out sometimes. Oh, I have a better idea, you should go out with us, we're just going to-" Itori's face lit at her self-proclaimed great idea.

But before she could finish her sentence, Uta shouted from the storage room.

"No! Definitely not!"

Uta came out of the room clearly annoyed at Itori.

I was confused why was he so quickly against it like he didn't want anything to do with me outside of work.

"Yeah Itori, I don't think-" I anxiously tried to defuse the situation.

"Y/N, no, don't listen to him! Your hands are all pricked from the needle and you need time off. You're going." She gave a comforting smile which made me feel a bit better.

"Itori, you know what you're doing, right?" Uta gave her a look like he was trying to communicate something without words.

"Oh shush, when did I ever do something wrong." She dismissed him with a careless wave of her hand to which Uta only gave a defeated look as a response.

*time skip*

We entered a bar to which I have never been before but it looked cozy. Uta and Itori comfortably sat down at one of the booths like they were used to going there.

My suspicion of the familiarity of this place to them was confirmed when the waiter only asked them 'as always?' and they both nodded.

I didn't know what they ordered but I went with a safe option and got a mixed drink.

Uta still looked a bit unhappy with my presence at the bar so even with Itori's friendly smile I was still anxious.

"So Y/N, why did you choose to work for Uta?" She rested her chin on her hand and looked me straight in the eyes.

Having her watch like that didn't help my uneasiness. And when I saw that Uta stopped messing with the mixing straw in his drink to listen in on my answer it made me even more nervous.

"Haha, funny story..." I gave an uneasy chuckle.

"...I kinda had a difficulty finding any job so it wasn't like I had much choice." I tried to sound relaxed but clearly, I wasn't very good at it. I quickly took a sip of my drink to focus my attention on something else to be less embarrassed.

"Oh, Uta had the same problem!" Itori lit up.

"Well, the other way around. He had difficulty finding someone who'd work for him. It's like you two were meant for each other." She chuckled, her big smile going even wider.

I unconsciously glanced at Uta and when our eyes met, even if it was just for a second, I turned to my drink again and gulped it down.

As the night continued, we continued talking and drinking. Itori was a very interesting person and really fun. It was obvious that she knew Uta for a long time because she would talk about him even he didn't want to. Uta didn't talk much, he observed us and would occasionally correct Itori on her storytelling or groan when she came with a new story involving him.