23 Break free

I was left standing there, not being able to do anything but to watch the cochlea structure.

Soon enough I heard explosions and pieces of the structure started falling to the ground, opening up the heaps of people fighting.

I squinted my eyes to see better. I saw different groups of people who could be easily divided by their choice of clothes. First I recognized the CCG people by their uniform I saw many times on tv, the other one were the imprisoned ghouls who wore the cochlea prison attire and the more casually dressed ones with masks of their faces must have been The Clowns.

My eyes instinctively searched for Uta, however, I kind of hoped I wouldn't see him here.

Seeing how merciless were the imprisoned ghouls while killing the CCG squad, I realized if any of them would see me they would surely kill me in an instant. The same problem would occur if any of The Clowns or even CCG members were to find me.

My breath got quicker as I realized I was cornered. The situation I was in didn't have any outcomes in which I would come out alive.

There was only one chance and it was if Uta would be the one to find me first. However, I was sure Juuzou was hiding here somewhere waiting for him. And I couldn't come to terms with the responsibility that my presence killed Uta.

I tried to tug at the handcuffs again multiple times. The skin around my wrists was now sicky reddish and sore. Each time I tugged at the metal, my teeth would grit at the pain that would increasingly get worse.

"I have to get out of here." I said out of breath to encourage myself.

My eyes desperately scanned my surroundings to look for anything that could help me break free.

*Uta POV*

Even though we were supposed to free only specific ghouls, people got carried away and it quickly became chaos.

Now not only I had to fight those annoying CCG people but I had to dodge the falling debris from the wall of the prison that were getting destroyed by the explosions.

There was also more CCG guards than I expected which made the rescue of the ghouls much harder.

They must  have somehow know The Clowns were planning something. This made me question the members of The Clowns.

There must have been a snitch.

I looked around me at all the other masked ghouls who were busy fighting the guards.

Where are you.

What brought me out of my thoughts was a slash across my arm from one of the guards.

My head quickly shot in his direction and his angry expression now turned into a regretful one.

"Aw you shouldn't have done that." I smirk formed under my mask.

*Y/N POV*

As I shifted, something sharp suddenly pricked me in the butt.

"Ouch." I hissed and my hands instinctively tried to reach to pull out whatever was the source of the pain.

And them I realized...

Now with more vigour I twisted my hands to get the thing that was in the back pocket of my pants.

I sighed out as I finally pulled out a little piece of fabric with a needle stuck in it.

It was the practice fabric that Uta brought me that night and I then always kept in my pocket as a good luck charm.

The ticket to my freedom.

I plucked the needle out carefully so that I didn't drop it and brought it to the handcuffs.

Slowly I inserted it into the little gate that the part of the handcuffs with the teeth was pulled through.

The thin needle made just enough space for the teethy hook to be pulled back and break open.

My smile widened as the one side of the handcuffs fell loose from my hand.

Quickly I looked around to be sure that nobody saw me and then proceeded to do the same process to the other hand.

Now I just have to run.

I took a final look toward the ghoul prison and then with a determined expression started running into the forest.

The darkness of the forest quickly engulfed me making me more weary.

Every little rustle or crackle made me stop and look around.

There wouldn't be anyone hiding in here right?