EIGHT Liya

"No, you don't have to pack towels because you will find fresh stock at that place every single day. Jesus, why do you want to increase the load unnecessarily?" I scold April for acting like a child at the worst time possible.

"But I prefer to use my own towel."

"Aishhh, fine. Then keep it in your handbag." I look at Spencer, who won't stop looking at herself in the mirror. "Spence, we could really use your help, you know?"

"I can't believe I have pink hair." She mumbles like a teenager who had her first kiss. "I feel so satisfied that I might start crying."

"Spencer. It's just hair. I can legit grab a pair of scissors and chop it all off when you're fast asleep."

She turns around with a very scary look on her face... something that makes me take a step back. Wow, I never thought she had it in her.

"You do that and I will put jelly in your favourite purse."

I cringe visibly. Damn it, how did she find out about my utter disgust for anything that's gelatinous.

"Oh, maybe I'll throw in two spiders as well."

"You can't even look at an insect, let alone touch one."

"I'll make April do it."

"She's not an insect catcher."

"But she's my friend."

"She's my friend too."

"I don't care. Stay away from my pretty hair."

"Whatever. I don't understand your obsession."

"I wasn't the one singing a made-up song about blue hair in the shower."

"What?"

"We heard you, Liya. It was too loud. We're just kind enough to not tease you about it."

"Well, I -"

"Stop it, you two." April sighs. "Let's get done with packing without wasting any more time. Please."

"Fine." Spencer and I mutter in unison before glaring at each other. She even does this weird thing of animatedly pinning two fingers in front of her eyes and then turning them in my direction, as if to say my eyes are watching you. I shake my head in disappointment.

The next few hours fly by in the hassle of doing productive packing, wherein the majority of time was spent on bickering mindlessly over things that won't even matter. Out of the three of us, April is the only one who is actually good at this stuff. She was competent enough to open youtube and look for packing hacks as Spencer and I threw cherry seeds at each other. For some miraculous reason, April hasn't flushed us out of the room yet, which is great because watching her pack like a pro is a kind of an art in itself. I was under the impression that clothes are kept in neat stacks and then placed on top of each other in the suitcase. But apparently, rolling them guarantees more space. I've travelled a lot but never did I try to roll my clothes, and that must be why I always dragged around two suitcases and two carry-on bags, looking like a freaking nomad. Spencer couldn't care less. Her suitcase is doom itself. It genuinely feels like someone dropped a cloth bomb and caused the biggest explosion of mismatched attires. She was literally playing 'shoot-the-basket' and called it packing.

"I don't care how neat or clumsy my clothes look, okay? There are better and more grave things to worry about." She casually explained when I threw a questioning look at her.

I like that attitude, it's sadly rare. If people would stop putting an unnecessary focus on appearances and instead consider everything that lies beyond it, wouldn't the world be a better place?