one

hello hello hellooooooo. aren't you all glad to see me back and starting a new era. i've missed it🫶

i'm very excited about this book. it's been in the back of my head since december. i hope you all fall in love with this ship as much as i have. i'm dedicating this book to my wonderful friend martina who has helped me through this process. i hope you love it sweetheart🥰

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: minimal swearing, mentions of alcohol
word count: 3704

Emily: "What's meant to be will always find a way." Trisha Yearwood.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Come in!" Emily shouted from the other side of her office door. When she looked up, she was greeted by her three lovely friends with looks of guilt and sinful smiles. "Oh what did you do?"

"Okay, firstly, we haven't done anything—yet," Penelope said and held up a finger. Emily sighed as she buried her face into her hands.

"What Penelope is trying to say is that we would like your opinion on something," JJ said and slowly nodded her head at Penelope and Tara. Emily groaned softly as she moved her hands out of her face and looked at the three agents.

"Wh—"

"You need to get out," Tara said and crossed her arms. Emily's furrowed her eyebrows as the three women shuffled in, shutting the door, and making themselves comfortable. "You haven't been the same since moving back here from London. We know you loved Mark and all that other fluffy crap but it's painful at this point. We didn't even know you guys broke up until JJ noticed his picture was gone from your collection."

"I'm not interested in dating," Emily said and scoffed. The three of them all titled their heads to the side. "I'm busy! I have work to do!"

"That's boring," Tara said and rolled her eyes. "Come on. We'll set you up with a date!"

"I hear James from the third floor is single. He's tall, blonde, and kinda looks like Johnny Deep if you squint really hard," Penelope said and wiggled her eyebrows. "It'll be fun! JJ, Tara, and I will accompany you and we can—"

"No, no, no, no, no," Emily said and shook her head. She placed her hands down onto the desk in front of her and smiled forcefully. "I love you guys. Really, I do, even in times like this. But I'm begging you to please, please do not get involved in my love life."

"Then you need to find a love life. You throw yourself into your work too often, Emily, and I mean that with a lot of love as a worried friend," JJ said and reached out, placing her hand on top of Emily's. "We hate seeing you here before the rest of the team comes in and staying after everyone left. We want you to have a little bit of fun while you can."

"We'll leave you alone to get back to work but just think about it," Tara said and smiled softly at Emily. The raven-haired woman sighed and nodded her head slightly. The three women all left Emily alone in her office.

"Yeah, she's not thinking about it," JJ said as soon as the door was shut. "I hate Mark for sucking the life out of her. Plus he never talked! It was more successful having a conversation with a fish."

"We look around in the meantime! We can gently love tap her with options," Penelope said and smiled widely. The two other women looked back at each other before nodding their heads. All three women ran off to Penelope's office.

Emily, however, was now flooded with thoughts.

Mark came to DC when Emily first got offered the position as Unit Chief. They talked for a bit before the arguing happened. Mark had tried to convince Emily to come back to London since, in his opinion, she was much happier there. Emily stood her ground and ultimately chose DC over London. The two had managed to stay together, but things quickly turned sour once they realized how hard it would be. Emily, stupidly, tried her damn hardest to make things work. However, that didn't work for her in the long run.