nineteen

hello! i'm alive still. this semester has just kicked my ass already. on the bright side, your friendly neighborhood author is thinking about working in a lab. 5 classes, 3 jobs, i might die🫡

since there is only 2 chapters left, there will be NO trigger warnings on these last two chapters. if you're hesitant to read, please message me so i can give them to you🙏

y'all know already. it's not proofread✨

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

word count: 3652

Spencer: "It takes strength and courage to admit the truth." Rick Riordan.

Emily didn't waste a single moment as she drove fast throughout the streets of Washington DC. Luck was apparently not on Emily's side as a massive rain storm caused accident after accident to happen throughout the city. This caused Emily to be stuck in traffic, trying to wrap her head around what she was planning to tell Clara.

By the time Emily reached Clara's restaurant, it was well pass closing time. However, just when she thought her luck had run out, she saw Monica walking out of the restaurant.

"Monica!" Emily shouted as she ran towards the restaurant. The young woman's eyes widened as Emily ran through the rain to get to her. The raven-haired woman was freezing as she finally reached the door. "Is Clara inside?"

"Yes, but she doesn't want to be--"

"This is important," Emily said and tried to catch her breath. Monica gulped as she shook her head. "Monica, I need to speak with her. If it could wait, I wouldn't be here begging."

Monica sighed in defeat as she opened the door for Emily hesistantly. The raven-haired woman thanked her before getting inside. The restaurant was completely closed, and if Emily hadn't received the confirmation that Clara was in here, she might have thought that the restaurant was empty. That was before the clattering of metal trays was heard from the kitchen.

"Clara?" Emily called out as she slipped off her soaking wet coat. The raven-haired woman slicked her hair back, trying to get herself as presentable as possible. She took a deep breath in before heading into the kitchen. She noticed Clara there, cleaning up after a day's worth of cooking and baking. "H--Hey. I—uh—I need to talk to you."

The confidence and plan that Emily crafted in the traffic jam was clearly thrown out the window.

"I would assume that's why you walked back here," Clara said over her shoulder. The brunette woman as she gathered up every single dirty dish in the kitchen. "Don't keep me waiting. What's going on?"

Emily licked her lips nervously as she ran her hands down her soaking pants. She took a few steps towards Clara before stopping in her tracks. "I--I needed your opinion on a—on a case."

"Okay?" Clara said and walked over to the sink. Her back was still turned to Emily. She pumped a little bit of soap in her hands before turning on the water.

"It's about a couple. They aren't doing the best with talking and there is a very large problem at hand. I feel as though they need to communicate in a healthy way—"

"Okay," Clara said and shut off the water as soon as she finished washing her hands. She grabbed the towel from the rack and turned to look at Emily. "Please don't try to talk through metaphors of cases that you've worked on. If this is what you're feeling, just tell me. Tell me the truth."

Emily nodded her head as she started to play with her hands. The thing about being a profiler is that you are just as vulnerable to being read. As of right now, Clara was reading right through Emily.