6

Marmee approaches her modest home and sees her girls laughing and rehearsing, joyfully playing make-believe. She fights tears and sadness, about what, we don't entirely know. We just know that what she does as a mother isn't free. Of course, it's not, nothing is ever free, even a joy a mother can make.

Just before she flings open the door, she puts a smile on her face. Like so many mothers, she creates magic where there is none and enables her girls to be brave. "Merry Christmas, girls!"

All the girls shriek and crowd around her, "I'm so glad to see you so happy." The room began filling with words and yells of attention, almost like an overfilled market. "Mother! Are you freezing, come have some tea and read my play!" Jo quickly pushed her mother inside.

"Hannah and I made these cakes." Beth presented some delicious-looking slices of cake.

"We finished the sewing!" Meg showed off she finished seam.

"Wait until you see my portrait." Amy put her hands on her hips, "It's one of my best works!"

"I have accomplished very little," Catherine rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly, "But I am glad to see you back and in good health."

They worship their mother. As she's talking, they follow her into the kitchen, "Jo, you look tired, were you up again all-night writing? Amy, come kiss me! Beth, this looks amazing! Meg, I have never been so proud of you. And Cathy, you know you need non to make me feel scornful of you. How are my girls?"

"I'm so hungry!"

"I could eat a horse."

"Stop it, Jo!"

"Look at this breakfast!"

"We should thank Hannah the most for this breakfast!"

Marmee sees the expectant faces and wrestles with herself. Catherine was the first to notice the face and asked, "What is it?" Every sister stops their babbling, now seeing the fight their mother had with herself. The silence was dreading as they waited for her to speak up.

"Not far from here lives a poor young woman, Mrs Hummel. Her five children are in one bed to keep from freezing, and there is nothing to eat. My girls, will you give them your breakfast as a Christmas present?"

They are very quiet because they genuinely don't want to do it. Catherine looked between the filled table and her mother. Her sisters were too mute to speak, " Is this where you say that Father would want us to?"

"Yes," Catherine bought Amy and Beth into a hug as they both stood by her side, squeezing their arm as she gave the oldest sibling a small smile. They know this is the right thing to do, and it is Christmas, so they all agree.

●・○・●・○・●

Mr. Laurence sits with his grandson, Laurie, and his grandson's tutor, Mr. Brooke. It is peaceful and proper, contrary to the merry mayhem of the March household. Mr. Brooke thanked the servant who had served him his tea, "Thank you," he said to him. Then he thanked Mr. Laurence, his host, "And thank you too, Mr Laurence, for including me."

"You're welcome. Perhaps you could tutor my grandson in manners as well as mathematics." 

They both look at Laurie, who watches the March women walk across the snow-covered field with their breakfast. Jo hits Amy with a snowball, and there is a general tussle. Meg and the mother, have a small talking among themselves.

His attention was drawn to Catherine and Beth, both of whom were the furthest from the group and whose proximity to one another was likely the reason for Beth's exhausted look. Laurie watched as Catherine took the bags and blanket from Beth, making her the one harboring the most.

With her considerable size and weight, Laurie doubts she could endure long distances on foot, but to her surprise, she watches Catherine continue their path as if it is nothing while chuckling at Amy. Though the sweat on her forehead gave away her struggle.

"Where are they going?" Laurie whispered to himself.

●・○・●・○・●

All of the "proper" people of Concord are entering the local church, serving God in the traditional manner. The March family, however, merely walks by, actually doing the Christ-like thing, instead of performing their faith.

The girls make their way through the woods and finally find themselves outside of a shack that is so dilapidated that it's hard standing. They can see the people huddled around the fire and hear the child crying. This is the Hummel house.

The March siblings kept glancing at each other, feeling the guilt from their early hesitation to help aid this family before them. The girls enter with Marmee guiding them, tentative at first around such wretched poverty. Mrs. Hummel is barely older than they are, and frighteningly thin.

Marmee shows no hesitation, immediately taking the infant into her arms. "Ach, mein Gott! It is good angels come to us!" Marmee chuckled, signaling to her children as she spoke to Mrs. Hummel, "I'm back! We brought food and blankets and sweaters. And we brought some medicine. These are my girls!"

They all set about making the room less wretched, more homelike. The March family showed no indecisiveness, making and seeing this as their second home as they split up doing their things, with no second thoughts.

Marmee comforts the baby and mother.

Meg takes two children into her lap as she begins her storytelling.

Amy cleans and straightens the blankets.

Beth covers the other children with the best rags and clothes.

Jo sets up the food they brought from home on the makeshift table.

Catherine decided to aid with the hard labor, gathering up firewood and making a bigger fire for the family