42

That same morning, was as hectic as the rest. Laurie started his early, the earliest he has ever awoken. Feeling too shy and nervous to wait for a response, he instead to the chance and took a much-needed walk. During his walk, his feet took him to places from his childhood. The courtyard where he danced with Cathy for the first time, the lake where he first caught feelings for her yet to naïve.

He never rested the whole morning, up until the sun rose, he watches as the town people begin their day. Opening stalls, yelling parents to their children, and shopkeepers and customer bargaining for a price. Laurie had a subtle smile as people would gather to talk with him, people selling him things from ends on and even handing him 'gifts' that he would reject kindly. It's been a while, and seeing him back in town, has made the people frantic for his attention and news.

Deciding that the hectic scene of the town wasn't the mood he wanted to clear his mind before the theatre. However, his feet halted him before a very small stall owned by an elderly lady. She wasn't selling anything new or brand, it all seem like handmade. But something else caught his attention, it was a pair of gloves, silk to be precise.

"Hello, dear," his stopping caught the woman's attention as she speaks up. Laurie looked around before walking up closer to the stall, it would be rude if he left like that. "Is there something you want, my dear?" Somehow feeling dry in the throat, Laurie didn't respond, he simply shook his head as he scans her stall.

However, the woman already saw what had caught his attention. Picking up the pair of silk soft pastel pink gloves, she carefully examines the piece of clothing. Laurie notices this, in instinct his eyes imagine Catherine in such. He knows that recently, gloves have been one of Cathy's must-have items everywhere she went, to parties, indoor activities even outdoors.

He then taught, when was the last time he ever brought Cathy something? In fact, has he ever?

Noticing his mind is frantic about something, the older lady laughs out loud affecting Laurie's attention to her. "I know that look. It's been a while since I seen it though," / "Um?" Laurie wasn't able to question her action as the woman someone crouch down under her stall and rampaged through boxes is what Laurie could detect by the sound.

"Um, do you need help?" Laurie tries to peek his head at her without touching her stall the best he could. "Just a second!" Hearing that, Laurie stood back up still, watching his surrounding awkwardly, he starts thinking why is he even here?

While waiting, he smiled and waved at any passer and children who greeted him. By then, the older woman had finally popped out from under the stall. "Here we are," She said, passing Laurie a box that was designed so beautifully that it almost fooled him with the other branded name. Taking the box, Laurie opened it, only to find the gloves that he was eyeing before in it, but with more additional items.

"What?" / "It's a set. The silk gloves work well with the pastel ribbon and fan." She watches Laurie's reaction carefully, "It's beautiful isn't it?" As if a button was clicked in his mind, it imminently taught Cathy all this. She would look so pretty, the color would complement her features, and be soft to the eyes that the color even matches well with her personality.

"Are you going to see her today?"

The sudden question snaps him back, looking up at the woman who had a cheeky smile almost similar to his own grandfather's. "I'm sorry?" / "Oh, I know that look. Please," The woman shakes her head like a disappointed mother, "All man had it before. The guilt of never gifting your lady." Laurie look down in shame, he was caught red-handed, feeling stupid that something that simply he had never done before to Cathy.

He was about to take his change to pay for the items, but he was stopped unexpectedly. "No need now. You and Mr Laurence have done a lot to the town. And the gift you picked out isn't just any normal one." Seeing his clueless face, not understanding her last sentence, she continues, "Nowadays, no one buys silk and pastel. People been wanting bold and dark colours. I haven't been able to sell it for years now. I'm was going to toss soon. She must be the very fragile."

Laurie didn't know what much to say, it almost was forbidden to talk about Cathy for him since he technically had no right to talk about someone who is to be married. So instead he smiled and thank the lady, but being raised right, he had secretly left some money behind before leaving the town.

As he continued his walk, it was soon the middle of the day, not long before the theatre was starting. Being an hour early, Laurie still stood in front of the theatre, dressed in his long black coat and formal attrite that showed his class and status. But that wasn't important, he was doing so in hope that he was able to impress Cathy, seeing her in Europe with a wealthy man, made him insecure himself.

The gift is carefully secured inside his coat, nervous as he fidgets around.

Seconds turned into minutes and now almost an hour. The theatre had already started Catherine was 30 minutes late. He ignored how people were staring at him, they had pitiful looks as it was clear Laurie had been stood up but he didn't believe that. Maybe slightly. Nevertheless, he knew Catherine, she wouldn't just do that. Would she?

Laurie continued waiting. At one point, a theatre staff had walked up to him, "Excuse me, sire. I believe-" Laurie cut out his sentence knowing that the man was going to put in facts on him that Catherine wasn't going to come. He watches as the man tried to talk him into just entering the theatre, but Laurie saw in the corner of his eyes how the other staff were snickering at him. It seems almost like a bet was placed to see how long he was willing to wait.

"I don't think you lady is coming-"

"I'm here!" The high pitch of a woman's voice caught everyone's attention. And as everyone turned their head, surprised, there Catherine was running while holding onto her hat as she hastily stops beside Laurie. Laurie was in astonishment, staring at Catherine in disbelief thinking, "She's here. She came."