32

Jo is putting away Beth's things and arranging her little dolls and toys. Each second she took to stare at BEth's belonging, each giving her memories that broke her heart more. Everyone is gone. Meg left by marriage, Amy left by a voyage to Europe and comprehending a marriage in a way, Cathy was a rigid shell that Jo knew she couldn't stop from her fate, and Beth was taken from this life.

She places the sheet music of Beth's into a trunk, the hurt in her heart almost unbearable. Seeing does terrible scribblings of Beth's and a mixture of Catherine's neatly ones too.

Somehow, she ended up asleep in her attic that day. She had been closing off her family since Beth's gone. It wasn't intentional, and her blood knew she needed to mourn alone, that is. She couldn't hold herself together anymore.

That was until she was woken up softly by a man's grip. Shaking her shoulder, and calling on to her, "Jo?" It was Laurie, the moment they shared eyes, Jo had pulled Laurie into the tightest embrace they had ever. Whispering, almost desperate in her tone as she broke down in his arms.

Jo was blamed for how her future was nothing as she had hoped for. Everything was going off course. And here Laurie was, alone with her for the first time since he returned, and she couldn't help it but want to want him.

They take a moment, not sure what to do. They aren't in their youth any longer, they aren't sure how to relate to each other. As they broke off and settle down on the wooden floor together, side by side. It was obvious from the awkward silence.

"How are you?" Laurie spoke first, wanting this to be quick and normal. They wanted to go back to the way, in a way where they were genuine friends only. Not lovers. "Trying. I'm trying." Jo responded she wasn't going to lie to him.

As Jo continue to stare at her friend, Laurie who simply playing with the lace of his shoe. She can't help that the last time someone else was up here in the attic with her was Catherine. And ironically the conversation was about Laurie.

Jo wanted to understand her sister then. It was obvious that Cathy had feelings for her dear friend, well, she only knew after Catherine's disappearance. Why is that? Laurie never told her, no ever told her. Ans seeing first how Catherine had broken down her walls in front of Jo, she can't help but wonder what happened.

"Teddy," Laurie looks up at her, silently surprise to hear the old nickname but he still adores it much. It was something between him and Jo. But he notice how Jo's face had fallen, almost mad but curious, "What happened that day?"

"Day?" Laurie questioned back, he analyzed as Jo seem to be looking around their surroundings carefully before she answered him, "The day after Meg's wedding. Cathy's ran." Laurie understood, taking a deep breath as he so wanted to forget such a day. He broke his one true love with the harshest words and himself too, yet he was dumb to notice. Remembering Catherine's tears and yells after him, broke him.

"Well," he sighs out, bringing his knees to his chest, "I was stupid, young, and immature." He sighs once more, it was clear from his expression, that it was a pain for him to reminisce the memories. "She spoke truly the truth, but I was too broken by your rejection. Not a great excuse, although,"

There was a quick silence between the two. More towards how they were reminded that Laurie had confessed his feelings, their ever first fight that leads to years of distance.

Jo snaps back to the reason for this topic. She now knew that much about Catherine's desire for Laurie and her truthful emotions for her friends. Back then it was hard to believe, until she look back carefully to moments when Catherine's love was clear in her eyes, gestures, and smile around him.

It was hard to say about Laurie. Back that, she and he only saw each other. No one else was important back to each other, so it was apparent that Laurie had his eyes on her, and Jo had her eyes on him. But here, sitting beside her, was a man who was not interested in her, who did not even seem to notice her any more than a friend. Laurie had grown, and his emotion was like an open book for Jo to see. His eyes were no longer on her, not on people of parties, and fun.

The moment Catherine stepped in that dinner night. Jo saw it the most. Her friend had been a man in love, in love with her sister.

Jo had let out an exciting scoff as her mind connected the dots. From how Wayne and Laurie would fight banters back to back, and how Catherine would nervously approach anywhere Laurie. This would be the first Jo had found light in her life since everything.

"Seems like you connected the story," Laurie chuckled, finding amusement from how Jo's eyes had glowed each second. "Oh, Teddy! It's like those books I read!" Jo was excited, excited to see the story between her sister Catherine and her friend Laurie, blossom beautifully.

Young Jo would have been disgusted by this thought, but she was mature. Everyone matures. However, her excitement didn't last long when she saw that Laurie wasn't as happy as she was. The man had a longing, sad look in his eyes; the look of someone who knew they would never get what they wanted.

"What is it?" Jo asked, pulling her friend into a side embrace. Comforting the unmistakable saddened Laurie. "I broke her, Jo. With my own words. How could I mend that? She won't even hear me." Laurie explained. "Oh dear," Jo spoke softly, understanding these circumstances.

Both were in gloomy instances. Neither was great with the topic of love and affection. Never did they think something was important to be learned. Both knew each would give terrible advice, so the best Jo could give was her comfort. That was until Meg and Amy entered the attic, the oldest with an amused smile while Amy groaned in frustration loudly. "It took me a whole trip for him to confess. But he so easily speaks to Jo!" Amy declared.

Laurie bloomed red embarrassed that his confession, of their conversation, was heard by the other March siblings. He wasn't able to hide long as they gathered around him and Jo, huddling into a warm embrace of four.

It was a comfortable silence, it almost felt complete. Almost as if the old memories of youth and fun. Almost. "I say," Meg the oldest of the bunch decided to speak up. "I never expected this. Nor saw it coming. How awful of me," She spoke softly, but clear of disappointment that as the eldest, she didn't see these issues beforehand. Between, Catherine, Laurie, and Jo.

"It isn't your fault. No one really," Jo stated, "We were all stupid and selfish to our own desires." No one denies her statement.