17

Catherine let out a pleased smile when she steps out of the carriage, looking at her home. The house was a two-story clapboard farmhouse that had two rooms on the first floor and two rooms on the second floor with 12 acres of land surrounded by orchard apple trees. It was built late in 1690 – 1720 which result in a shabby appearance, but to Catherine, it wasn't important how it looked.

But all her joy went missing in an instance when Wayne too left the carriage with a disgusted scoff at her childhood house, "You live in such thing?" Wayne look down at the ground, seeing how it muddied his clean shoes, "You're lucky that you're marrying me. You won't be living in such filth."

Catherine had to bite back her tongue at cursing at him, it wasn't what she was taught by Aunt March. So instead, Catherine forced out a hum, not agreeing nor disagreeing with the man.

Wayne went to the coachman, instructing something about a change of plan on staying at the house. Catherine glanced at Wayne's back, it was in agreement that they would spend their nights at her childhood house but Wayne was so disgusted that he ordered the coachman to search for the nearest hotel.

"I would like to spend my time here instead," Catherine called out, catching Wayne's attention who scowl at her. With big steps that show his displeasure at her words, face to face he spat, "Now, why not, darling? We should be spending nights together." Despite his sweet and scary tone, his eyes held anger at Catherine. This was all an act since they stood before a clueless coachman in their relationship and a house that could be filled with people peeping.

"My family is in there." Catherine didn't look right into Wayne's eyes, it always made her whimper to speak her feelings, "Just for a few nights. You even get the hotel to yourself." Catherine was secretly gesturing that Wayne was able to bring a woman into the room which seem to persuade him in leaving Catherine behind.

With a smile, he fakes his caressing her jaw before returning to the coachman with the plan. As much as it pained Catherine to give her words for his betrothed to cheat, she wanted time with her family and was absent from the man.

Once that was all settled, the coachman will return later to pick Wayne up. He still needed to do his duty and introduce himself to Catherine's family as her soon-husband. The couple stood in front of the house's crooked door, Catherine hesitation to greet those behind it while Wayne was gathering his act to fake around Cathy's family.

After three knocks by Wayne, not long the door opened by an old poorly dressed Irish woman. Suddenly Catherine's heartbeat got increased and was scared, she wasn't able to move even, it was something like an explosion of energy within and what could she do just to witness the person in of her with a nostalgic smile, "Hannah."

With that simple name call, Hannah crash herself into Catherine's arm, her eyes bawling out in tears since it's been years since Catherine had returned home and hadn't forgotten a mere maid's name. "Oh, my dear! You're home! Home!"

Wayne had to hold himself at seeing a maid openly expressing herself and even daring to touch their master since based on Catherine's expression, this person must also be counted as family, meaning he needed to act kind. "What's happened Hannah?" another voice of an elderly woman was called out and soon appeared at the door.

She eyed Wayne in confusion as to having never seen the man before but once Hannah broke the embrace with Catherine to step aside. Catherine saw her mother standing there in shock, frozen and rooted to place as her stomach twisted. Hands fly to her chest as she tries to hold her tears, "M-My c-child." Catherine had the most genuine smile ever, so bright and beaming that Wayne has ever seen as she trembles out, "I'm home."

Those two words made the old woman burst into tears, pulling Catherine into another bear hug at the door while Hannah sniffle beside them in joy at the mother-daughter moment.

Wayne had stood awkwardly at the side, never in his life did he leave embarrassed and unimportant as everyone was only focusing on Catherine. Not even a smile grazed his way. So, he let out a deep cough to gain his attention on him.

Marmee had let go of her daughter as she and Hannah now looked at the man their daughter had brought home. Marmee looked between Catherine and Wayne, signaling to her daughter in question until it clicked to her, "You must be Wayne!"

"Obviously," Wayne mumbles out annoyed but keeping his sweet smile. "Please, please. Come in!" Marmee let the couple into the house as Hannah fled to the kitchen to make teas and dessert for the guest. "Jo and Beth went to the beach. They should be back soon." Marmee took a place on a single couch while Catherine sat on the seat by the fireplace.

Wayne heisted to set on the worn-out couch beside Catherine, but the other places look more terrible in his eyes. So, with a deep breath, he forced himself to take a seat next to his soon wife. His eyes scanned the house with a judging tone that Marmee noticed but kept quiet.

Catherine starts a conversation with her mother, ignoring Wayne as she didn't want his presence to ruin her moment back home, "Where's father?" Hannah entered later with tea cups and dessert on the coffee table, she quickly departed when she knew that someone like her wasn't allowed in the living room, which isn't true but especially with Wayne there who comes from a rich family that looks down on maids, it's better she left.

"He went with Mr Lawrence. I believe in the markets." Catherine brighten at the topic of her father and Mr. Theodore, it's been a while and she wanted to meet everyone and know everything she had missed. Ever since she left with Aunt March, she was never allowed to return. Amy who followed later would fill her sister on how much everyone had grown, appearance and personality-wise.

As much as Marmee wanted to enjoy this moment, her eyes kept glancing at Wayne who was uncomfortable and judging everything about the house and even the way she was dressed in contrast to Catherine who was full-on dressed and decorated like a princess. While her mother had in rags and an apron that was dirtied from her garden work.

Catherine soon notice this and was ashamed. Not because of her mother's appearance but of Wayne's horrible personality toward her mother that was his in-law. She tried to lighten her mother and ease her anxiety but it was proven harder with Wayne being there and ruining everything.

"Excuse us for a second,"