7

After hours and hours in the Hummel's house, leaving when things are settled and more bearable for the woman. Freezing but happy, the women return home.

All huddle up together under the snow, huge smiles as they talk about their experience in the Hummel's house. When they reach home, calling out for Hannah so the siblings could ramble more only to meet with a surprise.

Hannah has arranged an incredibly extravagant feast, with candy and ice cream, and cakes galore. Hannah pulls Mrs. March aside, as the girls marvel at the lavishness of the feast. "Is it fairies?" Amy whispers and only Beth responds as the three older girls are attempting to piece together the puzzle. "No, it's Santa Claus!"

"No, can't be! Must be old Aunt March!" Jo yelled out, her hand frantic thinking this must be some trap from their aunt. Hannah shook her hand, answering all the questions, "Mr Laurence sent it."

The silence was so loud that even a feather would have been heard to drop, it would have been so clear. Hannah was not fazed by the reaction, instead, she was counting down the seconds before an explosion of questions blasted through her ears!

"'Why? How? How did he know?"

"How could he have known?''

"Why would he think of us?''

"That's kind of him but! Why would he send so much? It must be a mistake!"

Instead of being like her girls, Marmee gave Hannah a look, waiting patiently for the woman to speak and continue. Hannah nodded her head, which made the March siblings quiet, eager to know more, "He saw you giving your Christmas breakfast away and wanted you to enjoy the day."

They all run to the window to look. Squeezing each other trying to get a look at the house across from them, the Laurence. Amy whispered among them worried her voice might be caught by Mr. Laurence, "But I thought he was a mean old man!"

"That's so generous of him." Marmee smiled at the house, guiding her children back to the table instead of suspiciously staring at the neighbor's house. "His grandson Laurie put the idea into his head! I know he did. We should make friends with him." Jo called out, remembering the friend she made at the party.

Catherine briefly froze, remembering the memory she had with Laurie, the man was unique and not like most self-indulgent rich people.

Walking up to the table, taking a seat between Amy and Beth, Catherine listen attentively as Amy spoke about the gossip in town about the Laurence family, "Jenny Snow says that Mr Laurence disowned his son after he went off with an Italian woman, and now his grandson is an orphan and he spends all of his time in that house locked up with his tutor."

Marmee click her tongue sharply at Amy, "He is a very kind man who lost his little girl when she was only a child, and now his son as well." Amy pouted, being the spoiled girl, she was, she huddled in Catherine's arms, seeing nothing wrong with what she spoke.

Beth sighed, "His daughter died? That's so tragic." Catherine realized Beth's mind was filled with the possibility of losing one of her family. The best Catherine could do to comfort the girl while Amy and Jo squabbled about Laurie being romantic, Catherine spoke to Beth, "I will do my best to make sure that won't happen, Beth. There's no need to worry about those so young."

"I am not responsible for this feast, but I have got a surprise." Marmee coughs out, getting everyone's attention. She pulled out a letter and imminently squeals of excitement filled the room.

"A letter!" / "from Father!" / "Finally!" / "Is he coming home?" / "Three cheers!"

They gather around Marmee, sitting her in her easy chair, and making her comfortable. This is their tradition on Christmas Eve or any other event where they would receive a letter from their father. Marmee smiles and opens the letter.

Amy and Meg sat on both sides of Marmee while Beth sat on their mother's lap. Jo had chosen to stand behind everyone in hope that if she were to cry, she would be able to hide them. Catherine was beside Jo, ready to comfort all.

Everyone stays quiet as Marmee read forth the letter, "Give them all my dear love, and a kiss. Tell them I think of them by day, pray for them by night and find my best comfort in their affection at all times...

The following day comes on, the day of the sister's play they had been rehearsing. Marmee and Hannah cheer them on, and they perform for the neighborhood children. The children are entranced as Jo, dressed as Hugo, with a black beard, a mysterious cloak, boots, and a sword calls out: "What ho! Minion! I need thee!"

"... Wait before I see them but remind them that while we wait, we may all work so that these hard days need not be wasted ..."

Meg enters as Hagar, the horrible old witch. A smoke effect and a well-done homemade costume make the audience gasp: "Born of roses, fed on dew, what charms and potions canst thou brew?"

"... I know they will be loving children to you, do their duty faithfully, fight their enemies bravely ..."

Amy, as the Sprite, appears on top of a poorly constructed "tree," to give the illusion of "flying": "Hither I come, From my airy home, afar in the silver moo- AHHHHH." In mid-speech and gesture, Amy falls with a loud crash

Jo caught Catherine at the side of the stage, in charge of the effect and background sounds, even the side character. Never liking the attention on her. "Don't laugh! Act like it's all right! Just keep going! Beth play!" Despite Jo herself having a hard time holding her giggles in.

Beth is revealed playing and trying to keep a straight face, while the sisters scramble to keep the performance going.

"...and conquer themselves so beautifully..."

Princess Zara (Amy) and Roderigo (Meg) kneel before Don Pedro (Jo), and he pronounces them man and wife. Beth plays the final triumphant chords, and seated beside her is Catherine clapping along with the audience.

"Brava! Brava!" Marmee and Hannah stood on their feet first, cheering and yelling. The audience claps as the sisters bow, Jo is gentlemanly, Meg demurely, Amy the diva, Catherine immodestly with a bright grin, and Beth's small and faint curtsy.

"... that when I come back to them, I may be fonder and prouder than ever of my little women."